Return to burrow for summer?

Jeri Kramer

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Last May we were adopted by a 50lb female sulcata who has been dubbed Princess Shelly Shitzalot. Princess, because she does not like to be disturbed before noon. Shelly, because we were in a silly mood. And, well, I'm sure you can figure out the last part for yourselves. Anyway, she spent last summer in a burrow she dug under some trees in our backyard. This winter we built her a heated box (thanks, Tom, for the plans) and she has been really happy in there until recently. She now is trying everything in her considerable power to return to her burrow which we have blocked off. We are in Phoenix. For those of you in this, or similar climates, when do you let your sulcatas back into their burrows?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't have a sully or live in AZ. However, you do not want to let her go back to the burrow unless all cold weather/nights are over.
If you don't want her going back to it at all, be sure to give her a cool place to go and get out of the sun and heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't usually let mine back in the burrows until May-ish, when day time temps are consistently in the high 80s or 90s, and night temps are staying in the 60s. You guys get warmer sooner and also tend to have warmer nights sooner, but that time frame should be pretty close for you too. Looking at your five day forecast, it seems you have another month or so to go at least. If we suddenly get another hot spell in the next 2 or 3 weeks, you might consider it sooner.

Jeri Kramer

Phoenix, Arizona
I don't usually let mine back in the burrows until May-ish, when day time temps are consistently in the high 80s or 90s, and night temps are staying in the 60s. You guys get warmer sooner and also tend to have warmer nights sooner, but that time frame should be pretty close for you too. Looking at your five day forecast, it seems you have another month or so to go at least. If we suddenly get another hot spell in the next 2 or 3 weeks, you might consider it sooner.

Thanks! Having those temps as a guide is really helpful. Our 10 day forecast has us hitting high 80's low 90's by the end of the week. Maybe I will be able to abandon burrow defense by mid-April. First time I've ever seen anything positive about it getting warmer here earlier in the year!