Grocery shopping for the torts...

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, but they are simply hopeless at chess and looking after tortoises. um, like most people, so you must be right
All cacti belong to the same family of plants, the cactaceae and the prickly pear belongs to the sub-family opuntiodeae . Some of these are edible to humans and some are not, for tortoises I don't know, there are dozens of species of the edible Opuntia, and yours is probably one of these, but as always, if you're not sure don't do it.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yeah, but they are simply hopeless at chess and looking after tortoises. um, like most people, so you must be right
All cacti belong to the same family of plants, the cactaceae and the prickly pear belongs to the sub-family opuntiodeae . Some of these are edible to humans and some are not, for tortoises I don't know, there are dozens of species of the edible Opuntia, and yours is probably one of these, but as always, if you're not sure don't do it.
do any of them look EXACTLY like prickly pear? I mean mine looks like all the pictures just much smaller since only the first paddle is big and fully grown.
Apperently the same coworker who gave that to me has a banana tree he's going to give me a sprout of, lol my parents don't like me taking home all these plants! ... better than animals right ;)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The Indian fig cactus or Opuntia ficus-indica is the main species of edible prickly pear but there are many others, many eaten by torts including 6 species from the Galapagos that the tortoises there each and at least a dozen US species that tortoises can eat. They all have flattened pads and fruits, but my knowledge only goes this far and to the related genus Chollas that have cylindrical stem segments. These are also ok for torts as are many other cacti and succulents. What you have is probably an Opuntia. show us a piccy!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The Indian fig cactus or Opuntia ficus-indica is the main species of edible prickly pear but there are many others, many eaten by torts including 6 species from the Galapagos that the tortoises there each and at least a dozen US species that tortoises can eat. They all have flattened pads and fruits, but my knowledge only goes this far and to the related genus Chollas that have cylindrical stem segments. These are also ok for torts as are many other cacti and succulents. What you have is probably an Opuntia. show us a piccy!
This I have to remember to do when I get home I was looking everywhere last night for a picture I had because it was already closed up and dark in the porch it lives in. I'll get it tonight :)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Huh, they are listed and sold as dandelion greens...either way its good..

Yeah, I used to buy them by the boxful. A few would still have a little root and I decided to plant it as it did not have the leaves with which I was familar. Lo and behold, the prettiest blue flowers appeared on a stalk emanating from my 'dandelions'.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The title of this thread makes me cringe. I would much rather see "Weed collecting for the torts...".

Just sayin'....
Yeah, I used to buy them by the boxful. A few would still have a little root and I decided to plant it as it did not have the leaves with which I was familar. Lo and behold, the prettiest blue flowers appeared on a stalk emanating from my 'dandelions'.

Yes. There is a lot of that type of "dandelion" in the Testudo mix from Tyler. My tortoises all love it as much as real dandelions.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The title of this thread makes me cringe. I would much rather see "Weed collecting for the torts...".

Just sayin'....

Yes. There is a lot of that type of "dandelion" in the Testudo mix from Tyler. My tortoises all love it as much as real dandelions.

No doubt! I bought a quarter pound of seed and nary a seedling survived in the pens. I have some growing in an empty enclosure and harvest it regularly. It grows like a weed! I guess it can't help that...

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I used to get cannabis seeds in my canary food. grew some by mistake once. heaven knows what Tidgy would make of that.
PS. despite living in Morocco and summer visits to friends who grow acres of the stuff commercially I never touch the stuff. honest guv.
And Tidgy won't get the chance to find out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No doubt! I bought a quarter pound of seed and nary a seedling survived in the pens. I have some growing in an empty enclosure and harvest it regularly. It grows like a weed! I guess it can't help that...

I have it growing in 4x8' raised planter beds and I harvest it every two weeks all summer long. I mix that and other stuff with grass clippings and it makes for great grassland tortoise food!

My weeds don't even grow that fast!