Pet Stores= Bad?

dreamtortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi! I'm moving to Japan in a bit, and once I'm settled there I think I'll be looking for a little Russian ;) I don't think shipping from the US to Japan is a smart idea, so my only choice may be pet stores. I'm going to read up a bunch about identifying a healthy tort, but I'm still a bit nervous. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Join some online tortoise sites and try to learn if there are any Russian breeders in your area. Look for an active, squirmy animal with bright and alert-looking eyes. If you get an older tortoise pay attention if he feels like a rock or like a shell full of air. You want the rock.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pet stores tend to offer bad advice and products that are harmful or unnecessary. If you know what you need and what not to use, there is nothing wrong with pet stores. If you are relying on a pet store to make good recommendation and teach you the proper info, then you might encounter a problem unless you get lucky and find a good one.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Well depending on where in Japan you move you could go to a reptile convention and pick one up from a breeder my friends in Japan do that all the time except he norkally gets lizards but I am sure their are torts as well I mean I saw a sulcata but he wasn't for sale