Pet store redfoot, yes? no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Beaver Falls, Pa
Ok I was at a pet store, it's a nice pet store and home owned. Very clean and all animals are in great environments with thermos and hydros and proper bedding. It was amazing to see.

They have a 7in red food. No pyramiding looks very healthy and is very active. I was beyond amazed and they had him in a nice sized enclosure nicely kept. :D I am not sure if it's a male or a female.

It is priced at 300$ is that a good price or could I get a better priced one that size on here. I have two smaller ones. I hope to one day try breeding. Not hardcore just like one or two tries to see what it's like and experience the beauty of it.

Any suggestions... Im open to any suggestion or advice

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know a lot about pricing for RF. however, from what I have seen on for sale sights, that's not to far out there. I have seen proven trios for 3000.00 and adult breeding size for 295.00. Hope that helps.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
That is breeding size isn't it? How do you tell male/female. To me they both look the same

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
That’s not a bad cost ....and honest the amount is relevant to what the person is willing to pay . Because of the fact torts are not mass produced in a factory , not one two are ever the same....so what may be appealing to one person , might not be the same for others. We all have a budget and what may be expensive at the initial cost can add years of enjoyment and when broken down ...pennies a day. I guess you could say ..." how much does one want to indulge in the hobby?"
Now some hard core truths....if a person is concerned with say a 500 dollar animal ...then breeding torts is not for them . You will spend thousands of dollars in heating , food, health- plus months of hard work and upkeep along with trying your patience to the fullest....to start successfully breeding on a constant basis. I myself breed CherryHeads and Hypo RF's. While the hypos are not cheap by any means you wont find them by the hundreds and they are very unique looking....to say the least. Some folks hate them .... some love them ....I think they are kick A**.:D
Good luck with your adventure ...and sounds like you found a winner ....GO FOR IT! :)
7" is a bit small for a redfoot .... more in the 10" -12" range ...
younger , smaller females can and will lay eggs ...but most of the time they are duds~

For your sexing concerns .. check this out ....

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-51691.html

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
That seems a bit on the high end, price wise, for one tortoise a little too small to sex, but if you really like the tortoise and it's in good shape, then go for it. They are likely compensating for the additional cost of maintaining the animal well, which would be worth paying a little extra for anyway. :)

-Jen

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Im not do much concerned about the price of the animal itself. I just don't like getting cheated. Some we places...ESP pet stores tend to way over charge...as we all know. So I was wondering what the averages may be. Thanks for the advice though.....I don't really want to be a breeder, I just wanna do it once and be involved in the wonder of it all. :D I love redfoots

I used to breed cockatiels. Now I just keep and love my babies do to lack of customers in a small area and only a few at a time small breeder.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Re: RE: Pet store redfoot, yes? no?

LLLReptile said:
That seems a bit on the high end, price wise, for one tortoise a little too small to sex, but if you really like the tortoise and it's in good shape, then go for it. They are likely compensating for the additional cost of maintaining the animal well, which would be worth paying a little extra for anyway. :)

-Jen

Thanks Jen

N2TORTS said:
If you like very unique redfoots .... check out some of my RF threads ...or WWW.TORTOISECOVE.COM

I really like them too! ....:)

I love redfoots here are some pics of mine they are kinda small but I thought maybe a general of what they may turn out to be :D

I think this is going to be a female. They are the same size within 2 grams. This one is more round and has a noticeably smaller tail
1379453706060.jpg
1379453717219.jpg
1379453729053.jpg
1379453739351.jpg
1379453748998.jpg
1379453759795.jpg
1379453766131.jpg

This one I think may be a male. You can't see much in the pic but his shape isn't as round. Sort of looks like it's starting to curve a little bit.
1379454006394.jpg
1379454016275.jpg
1379454034481.jpg
1379454047469.jpg
1379454061473.jpg
1379454077754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sounds like its been well cared for which is good to hear since its a pet store. Good luck!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
LLLReptile said:

-Jen

Excellent point...paying a little more for a really healthy animal comes out to being MUCH less costly than buying a cheaper animal that require a vet's attention/expertise.

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
No I haven't yet. Im still learning about him and the store. They aren't really willing to tell me much

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Blgreek08 said:
Ok I was at a pet store, it's a nice pet store and home owned. Very clean and all animals are in great environments with thermos and hydros and proper bedding. It was amazing to see.

They have a 7in red food. No pyramiding looks very healthy and is very active. I was beyond amazed and they had him in a nice sized enclosure nicely kept. :D I am not sure if it's a male or a female.

It is priced at 300$ is that a good price or could I get a better priced one that size on here. I have two smaller ones. I hope to one day try breeding. Not hardcore just like one or two tries to see what it's like and experience the beauty of it.

Any suggestions... Im open to any suggestion or advice

I bought both of my red foots from petco. They were only priced at $159.00 each. They are great and i have had no problems with them besides being a little dry. But thats nothing a bath and spraying didnt solve. So I say go for it but shop around for pricing first.

Status
Not open for further replies.