pesticides???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatababies

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi guys,
since the passing of two of my tortises due to heat:( I have now bought a house for my other tortise Leo:) so he is not couped up in the apartment:( But with this house comes spiders and other such yucky bugs that I don't really want near him. Is there any type of bug anything insecticide, pesticide or whatever that others use for outside living tortoises???? Any tips are appreciated, thanks guys:)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
The only insect control I know of that is safe is diatomaceous earth .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have used Orange Guard around my tortoise houses. Bottle says its safe around kids and animals.

Yvonne

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
For pesticides i would try to buy your lettuce from an organic store. dont buy it from safeway or costco or stores like that, but if you do make sure you wash it really good. :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
This morning, I had to spray a ton of Orange Guard in my living room for a river of ants that swarmed in from a colony underneath our house. My tort stayed outside all day for the sun. I usually bring her in for the night. Since our tort's terrarium is in the living room, I took her in a cage tonight in our kitchen away from living room. Should I leave her outside tonight (it's little cold but I can cover her cage)? Hope someone can answer this tonight.
As Yvonne mentioned above, Orange Guard's label says "it may be used around food, humans and pets" and on the back label it says it could be sprayed on pet bedding to prevent fleas. Active ingredient is 5.8% d-Limonene (orange peel extract) and 94.2% inert ingredients not indicated.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it's only orange peel and the room does not at all smell like fumes, I would feel comfortable bringing my tort inside in a situation like this. Otherwise, it would depend on the temperature outside (what is it?) and if the tort could go in any other room. Sounds ok to me though. That's great you didn't use anything toxic.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, Kate. She's back inside after 2 nights in the kitchen. The weather report says mid 80s to mid 60s in our area...around 63 to 65 degree at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.