Personality of pancakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
How personable are they? I hear different answers from them being shy and enjoying privacy to being quite friendly with age. I know that personality ranges from individual to individual but I would like to hear a 'general' personality (if there is one) and people's experiences with pancakes.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I first kept Pancake tortoises about 20 year ago, probably got rid of them then because they were like keeping a box full of rocks, rarely ever saw them out and about. I have some wild caught and captive born adult Pancakes again now. It's still like keeping a box full of rocks! I rarely ever see them out of hiding and when I do "catch" them out they scramble for cover with the exception of one, older wild caught female who spends much more time out of hiding than the others. My experience has always been that they aren't much on human interaction. So why do I keep them? I don't know! They're colorful and unique, but that shouldn't matter as much if you almost never see them. Along with being colorful an unique, I think I like the fact that they don't need to come running to me, their "independence".

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Mine is quite shy. He will not eat if I'm around, and he spends most of his time hidden.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, i have a male & female pancakes. my pancakes aren't shy. one is alot more friendly than the other.both are more active in summer time. they do sleep alot.my female follows me around my yard in summer , while the male chases her. they are different then many other torts. its up to each person, i guess. lindy

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi my cakes are adults, the female has had 2 eggs. one broke, still have 1.she had the egg jan. 23rd. hope it hatches. first time for her haveing eggs.i have had my cakes for over a year.i do enjoy watching these guys.most of my friends dont get it. tortoises as pets! i dont care love them.this is my sencond male, went to reptile show in new york to get a pair of pancakes.long story short, both were sick, male died(mbd)so, went crazy , seller sent another sick male & he & she are now heathly, happy,and staying with me! once male was feeling better ,i couldn't keep them apart. he likes her more than she likes him! she likes me!LOL" lindy

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I'll generalize pancakes as a shier species of tortoise.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have never had a pancake tortoise, however I have always thought they are very unique and beautiful.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ALDABRAMAN said:
I have never had a pancake tortoise, however I have always thought they are very unique and beautiful.

Yes Greg, they are! When I first saw them in a book I didn't even know a tortoise like this existed!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ALDABRAMAN said:

Yes, Greg, they are! When I first saw them in a book I didn't even know a tortoise like this existed.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Mine is not shy. He will pull into his shell a bit when I put my hand in there, but just for a second. Then he will eat right out of my hand. He seems to prefer me feeding him to eating on his own. He mostly hides, but when hes out he is running around. I guess I probably see him more than other people see theirs because his enclosure is in my kitchen right in view from my computer. He is most active in the evening. It is 745pm and he hasnt come out yet. I expect him out soon :)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, my pair of cakes are getting very active as the good weather approches. LOL' lindy

Status
Not open for further replies.