Leopard Tortoise Personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat_r

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone!

I am in the middle of obtaining a leopard tortoise. I have a lot of experience with sulcatas and I am curious about the personality difference between the two species. Now I realize that each tortoise is a unique individual (I've met sulcatas on the reserved side as well as on the overly, in-your-face obnoxious side)... Overall I would say sulcatas (once a certain size) aren't typically shy and rather outgoing (especially when they think you have some food). All of the sulcatas I've kept in my care seem to enjoy head scratches, shell rubs, and generally were curious to interact with me. I had one sub-adult male sulcata that would randomly ram me, other tortoises and objects that got into his way.

I am wondering how Leopards compare? I've heard they are more reserved than sulcatas... maybe not as obnoxious? Some people have described them as shy. I'm wondering what other people think / feel about leopard tortoise personality in general? I'm really excited to be working towards having a new little leopard in my life :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have some leopard babies and really only see one out of four that seems a little more "shy" if you want to use that word. But, to answer your question, I think someone with adults could give you more advice. Like you said, they all have different personalities. What I have noticed is the ones that had their heads out and active when hatchlings are still the ones that are more outgoing.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have three adults and they all have different personalities. I have two females who are rather shy around strangers. They are fine with me, probably because I am the food God. They will run and hide if people, especially children come into the yard. My male is opposite - he likes people and always wants food. He will come get in the middle of whatever I'm doing in the backyard - working on the deck, cooking on the BBQ, whatever. He's much more personable and interactive with people. I don't think it had anything to do with their upbringing because they are all together, so it must just be something with their native personality. I believe if you gve them plenty of attention when young then they will have more interaction later in life.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If I were you, I would search around the forum and look at some of the debates we have had regarding tortoise personality. It was a hot topic not too long ago.

Behavior between a leopard and sulcata are different. I've always described sulcata behavior like that of a puppy, and leopard tortoises like that of a mature dog. It's about the best I could illustrate it. The way I define personality, I would not say that this makes leopards "shyer" than a sulcata...it's just different. I've only met a few leopard tortoises that I would actually consider shy. Same thing with sulcatas.

There is some debate as to whether the South African leopards have more personality than the other type, but I personally have not observed any differences so far in raising both types side by side.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Neal said:
I've always described sulcata behavior like that of a puppy, and leopard tortoises like that of a mature dog.

That is a great description Neal! Spot On!

Status
Not open for further replies.