Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
DeanS said:
Lilithlee said:
In Virginia you need a permit to hold/sale/buy/collect or own a snapping turtle. (Also I think, but I not real sure how much I'm knowing understand this rule or if it even about torts or turtles, but after owning five retiles you need a permit, however I not sure if it's just to native retiles in the state of Virginia?)

But it does just depend on each state rules.

Just for clarification purposes...you do need a permit in all 50 states to keep common snappings turtles, but no state will issue a permit for alligator snappers under any circumstances.
I have to disagree with both of you,The way I understand the laws in VA you can keep 5 of the same species of native species in the same household without a permit (but no more than 5) and you can hunt, catch, or kill, (to eat if you want) 15 snapping turtles per day, You can also capture 15 bullfrogs a day. NO ENDANGERED species without a permit.--As far as I know this has not changed...

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Len said:
DeanS said:
Lilithlee said:
In Virginia you need a permit to hold/sale/buy/collect or own a snapping turtle. (Also I think, but I not real sure how much I'm knowing understand this rule or if it even about torts or turtles, but after owning five retiles you need a permit, however I not sure if it's just to native retiles in the state of Virginia?)

Just for clarification purposes...you do need a permit in all 50 states to keep common snappings turtles, but no state will issue a permit for alligator snappers under any circumstances.
I have to disagree with both of you,The way I understand the laws in VA you can keep 5 of the same species of native species in the same household without a permit (but no more than 5) and you can hunt, catch, or kill, (to eat if you want) 15 snapping turtles per day, You can also capture 15 bullfrogs a day. NO ENDANGERED species without a permit.--As far as I know this has not changed...

AST's are an ENDANGERED SPECIES and you CAN have one without a permit. You can not catch them during a certain time of the year.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
shmily1605 said:
Len said:
DeanS said:
Lilithlee said:

AST's are an ENDANGERED SPECIES and you CAN have one without a permit. You can not catch them during a certain time of the year.

AST's are not native to VA

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"In New York State any and all native species of aninals can only legally be possessed if you have NYS DEC permits for them. Even then, none of the animals that the permit holder possesses can be taken from the wild within the state. This also applies to all species of American Box turtles kept in New York State. Doesn't matter if it's an Eastern, Three-toed or Ornate Box turtle."

"I have a NY State license/permit to own and collect....meaning that I can take two (2) from the wild, and own Eastern's and Three Toed's, as this is what it specifies on my permit. When I renew my license, I have to prove that I used these box turtles for educational purposes...so I usually bring one to a local pre-school and give a little talk, the teacher gives me a letter saying this, and I submit it to NY State Wildlife."

True-I forgot about permits to "own and collect". I was talking more from a breeders point of view keeping several different species and several animals of the same species. I used to have permits to keep 2.4 Easterns, 2.4 Three toeds, 2.4 Gulf Coast Box turtles and 2.4 Wood turtles. Then New York State came out with the blanket law to "protect" everything which meant that I would also have to have permits for my Eastern Painteds and Spotted turtles. It was around that same time that I got out of all of the turtle species so it really hasn't affected me.

There are thousands upon thousands of people in New York State keeping many native animals without permits so what is the real point of the permit system to begin with? It's not enforceable. It's just there to be used as a prosecution tool for someone who gets out of control and gets caught. Unfortunately, it also acts as a deterent for someone who is thinking about getting into the hobby because many people don't want to go through the process or give ENCON an open invitation to their homes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You forgot about the money. I am not an anarchist, But I do believe that there are to many rules and regulations on the books, most unenforced. Whenever I read about NY's rules about keeping native species 2 things come to mind, 1. I am glad I don't live there, and 2. Why hasn't california done this yet? Not that I want them to, but CA has not yet met a law or fine or fee that it does not like.

Status
Not open for further replies.