People with outdoor sulcatas and leopards in the Phoenix AZ area...winter housing?

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
It's been a nightmare trying to get my leopard to Arizona.

My question is, when it's in the upper 60's to lower 70's during the day during the winter, do they need extra heat? The potential future owner is full of questions which is good. She said she called the Arizona Reptile Society, and they told her leopards can't live outside in that area during the winter without a heat lamp. They also told her leopards burrow, so that's how much they know.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yes. They need a heated night box like one of these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

I'd love to see a leopard tortoise that digs actual burrows. That would be a first.
She told me to call them and see if they tell me the same thing about burrowing.

They told her even during the day in winter, when the temps are in the 60's and 70's, they'll need a heat lamp. Which may be true in her area. Just trying to find out for sure so she'll be prepared. She was told during the winter they'll burrow into the ground and stay there. I guess they meant hibernate. lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like the person on the phone was talking about desert tortoises. In any case, they don't need a heat lamp. They need a heated shelter for nights and cold days. At 70 and sunny, they can warm up in the sun just fine, but they need a heated shelter for morning, evening and night, when the temps are lower than 70.