Pee colouration

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
My baby just peed today but im worried about the colouration as it's usually transparent white. And i have seen urates for a few days now with a pasty consistency. I have been feeding hibiscus leaves and flowers for a few days now

Attachments

• 20210126_163951.jpg
    20210126_163951.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pee colour is affected by diet. Dandelions, for example, can turn it an alarming pink colour.

As long as the urate is not gritty then it’s fine :)

Justincl

Jakarta
Pee colour is affected by diet. Dandelions, for example, can turn it an alarming pink colour.

As long as the urate is not gritty then it’s fine :)
I dont feed my dandelions though. I soak an hour in the morning and another hour in the evening. Are there any factors that may be causing this pee colouration??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I dont feed my dandelions though. I soak an hour in the morning and another hour in the evening. Are there any factors that may be causing this pee colouration??
It’s not just dandelions that colour pee. It was just an example of a very common foodstuff that does this.

My point stands. Pee and poop colouration is affected by diet. If urate is gritty there’s aproblem.

Justincl

Jakarta
It’s not just dandelions that colour pee. It was just an example of a very common foodstuff that does this.

My point stands. Pee and poop colouration is affected by diet. If urate is gritty there’s aproblem.
So it's normal pee colouration? Because while soaking in warm water my baby can get stubborn and at times she wont drink so i offer cactus or lettuce to hydrate her. Note: i didnt know she was started off dry

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@Tom @Yvonne G @maggie3fan i need help because the vets in my area are currently closed for a few weeks. Could it be connected with the previous thread i made about puffiness?

I already explained about the puffiness.Did you just waste my time or what? Did you read my reply to you???? Do you feed anything beside cactus and lettuce?
You already said the urates are pasty, did you pick any up and rub them between your fingers? That's how you tell grittiness.
The way a tortoise's organs function in simple language, when tortoises live in the wild, they may not have good access to daily water, so when they do drink, the bladder and kidneys suck the moisture out of the water and store it and that leaves behind 'urates'. Urates contain that dried out stuff as paste or creme, when they gain access to water, they drink, pee out the old urates and liquid and start all over. It is a continuing process. You NEED to soak that baby daily for about 20 minutes. Maybe she will drink and maybe not, but she will soak some moisture in thru her cloaca and the soft skin under her chin. So in one way urates in captive animals is 'normal', soft, creamy and slimy is ok, feel with your fingers, gritty, hard or marble sized hard stuff is not. I hope I made the process simple enuf for you to understand. Your baby is fine

Justincl

Jakarta
I already explained about the puffiness.Did you just waste my time or what? Did you read my reply to you???? Do you feed anything beside cactus and lettuce?
You already said the urates are pasty, did you pick any up and rub them between your fingers? That's how you tell grittiness.
The way a tortoise's organs function in simple language, when tortoises live in the wild, they may not have good access to daily water, so when they do drink, the bladder and kidneys suck the moisture out of the water and store it and that leaves behind 'urates'. Urates contain that dried out stuff as paste or creme, when they gain access to water, they drink, pee out the old urates and liquid and start all over. It is a continuing process. You NEED to soak that baby daily for about 20 minutes. Maybe she will drink and maybe not, but she will soak some moisture in thru her cloaca and the soft skin under her chin. So in one way urates in captive animals is 'normal', soft, creamy and slimy is ok, feel with your fingers, gritty, hard or marble sized hard stuff is not. I hope I made the process simple enuf for you to understand. Your baby is fine
I feed hibiscus leaves and flowers and a veggie called fumak although i was initially asking about the urine colour. I do not feed dandelions although i see the colouration i posted above. Is that normal pee colouration? As i have never seen this colour ever. I'm afraid that its a kidney issue or blood...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I feed hibiscus leaves and flowers and a veggie called fumak although i was initially asking about the urine colour. I do not feed dandelions although i see the colouration i posted above. Is that normal pee colouration? As i have never seen this colour ever. I'm afraid that its a kidney issue or blood...
Is it possible for you to post a picture of her enclosure? And a photo of her urine. But bad things like kidney or blood just mostly doesn't happen to babies. If the urates are kind of a pale beige, light rose, NORMAL try simply enjoying that little one and stop looking for trouble. Just could open that photo, pee is fine, tortoise is small...normal

Justincl

Jakarta
Is it possible for you to post a picture of her enclosure? And a photo of her urine. But bad things like kidney or blood just mostly doesn't happen to babies. If the urates are kind of a pale beige, light rose, NORMAL try simply enjoying that little one and stop looking for trouble. Just could open that photo, pee is fine, tortoise is small...normal
Sorry for the trouble I'm just scared since i didnt know the seller started her off dry so i'm a bit scared after i read the thread about hatchling faikure syndrome :(

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry for the trouble I'm just scared since i didnt know the seller started her off dry so i'm a bit scared after i read the thread about hatchling faikure syndrome :(
Sorry, I forgot to give you this...