Opo,s urine

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Some of Opo's urine has a gel like consistency. I would say about 50%. Just started in the last month. I never noticed before but for some reason Opo has decided to start using the porch for his bathroom the last few months. 😖
I weighed him the other day and he lost about a pound. Went from about 85lbs to 84lbs. Going to take him to the vet's on Monday. I have been wanting to get a x-ray for awhile.
Also the gel like urine is clear and there is pasty white urates also.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Actually, I think it’s normal. I noticed that the higher the humidity & rain, the more our Sully deposits urine & urates around.

Unless Ray is feeding OPO some weird things, I’m thinking it’s all normal. No vet visit required.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Some of Opo's urine has a gel like consistency. I would say about 50%. Just started in the last month. I never noticed before but for some reason Opo has decided to start using the porch for his bathroom the last few months. 😖
I weighed him the other day and he lost about a pound. Went from about 85lbs to 84lbs. Going to take him to the vet's on Monday. I have been wanting to get a x-ray for awhile.
Also the gel like urine is clear and there is pasty white urates also.
It doesn't sound overly concerning to me. Is the tortoise well-hydrated? Can you manage to soak him for 30 minutes or so daily for a few days to see if the viscosity of the urine decreases? Is he too big to be put into a tub easily? If not, I would recommend daily soaks for a week or 10 days to see what transpires.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No Vet visit required...Mary Knobbins peed clear urine all over the Vet (lol) and pasty urates all over me when I took her outta the car...

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
It doesn't sound overly concerning to me. Is the tortoise well-hydrated? Can you manage to soak him for 30 minutes or so daily for a few days to see if the viscosity of the urine decreases? Is he too big to be put into a tub easily? If not, I would recommend daily soaks for a week or 10 days to see what transpires.
Thanks for the input. Opo is to big (85lbs) to lift. If I wasn't a double amputee it would be no problem. He has a tray water tray that he spends 1 to 2yrs in daily. In fact he has grown out of the tray. So I am going to start another thread about water tray ideas.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Actually, I think it’s normal. I noticed that the higher the humidity & rain, the more our Sully deposits urine & urates around.

Unless Ray is feeding OPO some weird things, I’m thinking it’s all normal. No vet visit required.
Thanks Mark, I have a vet appointment tomorrow. I weighed Opo a few days ago and he had lost a pound. I am going to have a x-ray and maybe some blood work. I have always wondered what Opo might have in his gut it anything.
I feed Opo the usual food like McDonald's. I get Opo a happy meal and substitute the fries for apple slices. Opo loves chewing on the toy in the happy meal. 🤣