Pebble is falling over a lot :-(

rakoczigabi

Location (City and/or State)
Basingstoke UK
Hello. We just got our little Hermann on Saturday ( she's 7 months old ) . Today I found her on her back twice. She looked really really upset and scared.
I turned her back , but don't know what to do.
If I remove all the stones and rocks her table will look really empty.

How can I make sure that she's not falling over ?
Thanks. ImageUploadedByTortForum1393951334.116983.jpg ;-(

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393951369.683342.jpg
That's how her table looks like. I already removed to stones from under the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I would take out the stone she was next to when she flipped over and watch her. If she flips over again look around the area where she flipped over and remove those stones and keep doing that until she stops flipping over

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Personally, I don't understand how we can have ANY tortoises left in the world. It just seems that all babies for the first few weeks of life, have to fall over on their backs. Its just something that babies do. They eventually stop, but in the meantime, you have to worry if you'll catch them and right them before they die from it.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
One of my tortoises went through a phase where she was turning over onto her back a lot. She seems to have figured out what causes it and has settled down a bit.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would relocate the hut away from the wall towards the center more....also, I would remove those yummy colored pebbles ---I know right now it is unlikely for them to be consumed...but why wait until you start thinking, "huh, I thought there were more pebbles, what happen to them?" followed by the tort being impacted....

Also, the roll overs are common when they are young....I would just relocate the step up type rocks from the edges....

Also, is that a coil uva/uvb bulb? If yes, I would not use it, especially for a baby with delicate forming eyeballs....:D

rakoczigabi

Basingstoke UK
Thank you everybody. I will re arrange her table.

What do you mean coil uv bulb ? I've been told I need to use a 10% uv. The one I have is 10%
Thank you :)

ascott said:
I would relocate the hut away from the wall towards the center more....also, I would remove those yummy colored pebbles ---I know right now it is unlikely for them to be consumed...but why wait until you start thinking, "huh, I thought there were more pebbles, what happen to them?" followed by the tort being impacted....

Also, the roll overs are common when they are young....I would just relocate the step up type rocks from the edges....

Also, is that a coil uva/uvb bulb? If yes, I would not use it, especially for a baby with delicate forming eyeballs....:D

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The coil shaped UV bulbs are bad news. They give the baby tortoises a condition similar to snow blindness. There are better lights out there besides the coil bulb.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Just curious, are turtles/tortoises incapable of turning themselves over.. or perhaps just the babies? I know there have been a couple occasions Flash has tipped over and the first time I saw her flip herself upright, I was amazed.

tellablue

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
My little one flipped over 3 times in the course of one week. I nearly had a panic attack the first time I saw the baby on its back. I tried moving stuff away from the sides of the habitat (which might have helped), but I was told that baby tortoises often flip over. It has been three months and I haven't found Little A'Tuin upside down again. Kind of hoping he/she has grown out of it. Hopefully, Pebble will stop, too.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If you replace some of the stones with tortoise-safe plants, she might enjoy hiding under them and be distracted from climbing. Just a thought.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
littleginsu said:
Just curious, are turtles/tortoises incapable of turning themselves over.. or perhaps just the babies? I know there have been a couple occasions Flash has tipped over and the first time I saw her flip herself upright, I was amazed.

Most will and can right themselves in the wild, more so then in our weed, grass and shrub lacking enclosures, that in the wild gives them a better grab hold to right themselves.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Thank you for the info, Barb. It is good to know, for future reference, when I decide to get a baby tort!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

henrywh

The tortoise is just learning how to stable itself just be careful it doesn't stay under the light for to long