Peanut update and Godfrey Scores the big haul

Godfrey's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have been offline line the last two months and it's great to be back reading the forum. For those interested below is a Peanut update. (Peanut had a bad beginning in a pet store kept in a sand enclosure) She was 11 months old and around 140 grams.

I am happy to report that her pyramiding does not seem to have increased. She will always have what she has. She is now 13 months and 260 grams. She has grown 1/2 inch in length and about 3/8th inch in height, still the same width (3 in). So she does not look so much like a cupcake with feet anymore.

She is very curious and of course charms everyone. Attached are some photos.

On to Godfrey's big score. My husband comes home one day, and I kid you not, with two garbage bags stuffed full of loose produce. He stopped at the grocery store and proceeded to talk to the manager about Godfrey. (I live in a small rural Ohio town, so Godfrey is a bit of a novelty) We are now on the receiving end of their weekly produce clearing. He scored a huge amount of goodness. What we could not use (cabbage etc.) we gave to friends who have farm animals.

I mention this because I would have never thought to do it, but Cheapskate is always thinking. So it might work for someone else.
20151202_232708.jpg 20151125_211144.jpg

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
That is awesome! I was already planning on reaching out to local stores with produce areas for their waste when Odin is big, and this gives me hope that it will actually work! :)

Prairie Mom

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!
I've heard of enviro conscious grocery stores adopting pig farmers for their produce, but this is the first I've heard of a tortoise reaping the benefits. Very cool! I'm really happy for you guys:)

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Peanut is adorable!

Years ago I asked at our local grocery for their leftover produce for my guinea pigs, rabbit and tort. They told me they weren't allowed to give it away because even though I said it was for the animals, there was a chance I might eat it myself, get sick and sue the store.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's great and most places will. I had a veggie/fruit market at my old place that would let me have theirs. I now need to find one near my new place.