Introducing Peanut

Godfrey's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Well, just like Noah's Ark it seems animals come to my house in two's. Two cats, two dogs, and due to my husband convincing me to stop at a little pet store, two sulcatas.

We found they had two babies in an arid habitat. Our Peanut was about one-third the size of her room mate. So for a reasonable sum, we had the pleasure of rescuing, erm i mean acquiring her from the shop. I could not in good faith walk away, (and of course my husband was cheering me on).

Peanut is just about one year old (the store said they had her since Jan) She is very active, clear eyed, curious, but also showing early signs of pyramiding. She will only eat green. I tried Mazuri but no interest. So i sneak a bit on her greens, along with some powered calcium, and she has a cuttle bone she pecks at.

The big battle is moisture. I have been soaking her twice a day, and she likes to blow bubbles. We try not to handle her unless necessary to keep her stress down. I am using coco coir for her substrate. I know getting her moisture back is going to be a slow battle.

If she turns out to actually be a "she" her name will be Godiva (to match Godfrey) but for now she is so darn cute and curious we just call her Peanut.

As of today ( at 11 months in age) she is

Weight : 148 grams
Length: 3.25 cm
width: 3 cm
height: 2,25 cm

And yes she does resemble a cupcake with feet!

A few first day picspeanit bath.jpg peanut 2.jpg pea and gof.jpg pea and gof2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, they're just so cute as babies.

Godfrey's Mom

NE Ohio
Thank you. Today we weighed an measured Godfrey.

At age 20 years, male

weight 43.1 lbs
length 22.5 inches (plastron)
width 21 inches (carapace)
height 8.5 inches

He seems huge but i think comparatively he might be on the smaller side for his age and gender. We are going to track each of them weekly, (only the weight on Godfrey)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Here's a fun one of my sulcata as a baby as a baby. He's on top of his dad!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you. Today we weighed an measured Godfrey.

At age 20 years, male

weight 43.1 lbs
length 22.5 inches (plastron)
width 21 inches (carapace)
height 8.5 inches

He seems huge but i think comparatively he might be on the smaller side for his age and gender. We are going to track each of them weekly, (only the weight on Godfrey)
Wow, I thought he would weigh a lot more than that. Charlie is 16 years old but a little bigger. DeanS estimated that he weighs around 75 pounds. He has spent several winters in a burrow without artificial heat so he isn't as big as tortoises that stay warm all year around.