Parasite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Um... So... I finally moved Shelby to her outdoor enclosure... It's day 5 of her being outside even at night time. Well anyways, I've been keeping a close eye on her. Temperature (basking, cool end, hide and night) are good. Humidity a little hight but good. Eating habits, really good. Soaking every other day since she is new to her home.

Long story short, I had Shelby for her morning soak today. I saw her poop and it was nice solid poop. I left it there because usually she's calm about her soak until she wants to get out.

When she finally did, the poop soaked up the water, and I saw this little white almost transparent looking worm. looked like and wiggled like a baby earth worm. I placed Shelby outside, grabbed her food an went back to her little tub that I used. Scooped out the poop and placed it under a lamp and I looked for it. IT WAS GONE! Checked the water and IT WAS GONE.

Could this be parasite? And if so how worried should I be? I've had her for over a year and she's new to her outdoor environment. Could this be normal? What extra precautions should I take?

Please help. Kinda sorta freaking out here.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Take a fecal sample to a vet and get it checked for parasites. They look for eggs under the microscope as well as the worms.

If the test is positive, come back here for advice on how to treat it... the advice is likely to better than your vet, unless your vet is a reptile expert.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sounds like it could be a Pin worm.... get her poop checked at the vet.. ask for a Fecal to be done...

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
It's 4th of July so it's going to have to wait until tomorrow or when she poops.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Boy what a way to spend the 4th of July! I couldnt stop thinking bout my little Shelby. So i ran across this thread. This fits the description that Shelby is going through.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-49389-page-2.html

My only question is, lets say i take her to the vet, de-worm her, how do i go about cleaning her outdoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.