Long worm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I would set up two enclosures just using plastic totes (for ease of cleaning) and leave them pretty bare because you going to want to keep them well cleaned. The original enclosure also needs a complete cleaning due to their may be eggs there. I would want to keep the animals myself, just to keep an eye on them and give them good care. The Russian and the Greek really will need their own homes after all is said and done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
karalisa78 said:
Bought a Greek tortoise as a companion for my Russian 4 days ago from Petsmart.

In my opinion, different species of tortoise should not be placed in the same habitat. One reason is that they might make each other sick, but another reason is that they don't need company. Tortoises are solitary creatures, only coming together during breeding. They like to have their own hiding place and not have to compete with another tortoise for the food. You may end up with lots of fighting if you put them together.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
theelectraco said:
She already returned the Greek and is not going to repurchase it.

Thanks I overlooked that. I guess now would be a good time to tell you that getting just one female Russian would not be helping matters much. More then likely the male would bother the female too much. Two females to one male works better.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I agree with Jacqui, and you're better off just keeping your little dude by himself.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
theelectraco said:
The vet is offering to treat in house or petsmart is? Personally I would have the vet do the actual medicating but keep him at home.with you for recovery. You dont REALLY know the habitat the vet will have set up and food they offer plus noone will taoe better care of your baby better than you.

I am a new tortoise owner, have had my redfoot for 3 months, and I was.able to medicate him fine cus he had a uri when i got him. I wouldnt let the vet nor petsmart have my tort in house for recovery, it can take a few weeks to recover. In your case you dont know your tort for sure has worms yet and of it does he was only recently exposed and hopefully has a.small parasite load so it may not take as long, but i would still want the tort with me so i know its eating and being.taken care of.properly

Oh, good point, I thought we were talking about a vet that is in the pet store administering droncit or pannacur or whatever and then her taking the tort home. A pet store is not a vet.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm going to assume that PetSmart is willing to pay for in house treatment at the vet, because it would definately be against policy for them to treat an animal that isn't their own in their store. Either way, I would definately let the vet deal with the medicating, even if it means going to the vet once a day to a few days to have them administer it, and then keep the tortoise at home for recovery. As long as your tortoise doesn't go off his food his recovery should be quick and complication free. If he goes off food it may be a little extra work.

karalisa78

5 Year Member
Just got a call back. It is a roundworm. They have the medication for my RT, and said they will give him the first dose. He only needs 2 doses, so I will give him the 2nd and keep him home. I'm going to put him in a tote. What should I use for substrate? Also...I just thoroughly cleaned his environment yesterday, do I need to do it again? Really appreciate all the help!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
karalisa78 said:
Just got a call back. It is a roundworm. They have the medication for my RT, and said they will give him the first dose. He only needs 2 doses, so I will give him the 2nd and keep him home. I'm going to put him in a tote. What should I use for substrate? Also...I just thoroughly cleaned his environment yesterday, do I need to do it again? Really appreciate all the help!

I would use newspaper for substrate and change daily until treatment is complete. Who do you mean by they? Will a PetSmart associate be administering the first series of meds or the Vet?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
theelectraco said:
karalisa78 said:

I would use newspaper for substrate and change daily until treatment is complete. Who do you mean by they? Will a PetSmart associate be administering the first series of meds or the Vet?

Newspaper or paper towels is good for your "hospital" enclosure.I think the treatment is just a powder that you can sprinkle over food. It is really easy to give. The Droncit was a lot harder because it came in a syrynge and I had to squirt it in my big sully's mouth. I used strawberries for the powder treatment.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
Newspaper or paper towels is good for your "hospital" enclosure.I think the treatment is just a powder that you can sprinkle over food. It is really easy to give. The Droncit was a lot harder because it came in a syrynge and I had to squirt it in my big sully's mouth. I used strawberries for the powder treatment.

Hopefully you get the powder. I had to use an oral treatment and it was a little tuff getting the tort to take it. If you can sneak it in his food and he will eat it all then that would be great, but if not syringe forcing it may be necessary and you will have to pry your torts mouth open :/ I had to use tweezers to get mine to open his mouth and take the meds.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
theelectraco said:
CtTortoiseMom said:

Hopefully you get the powder. I had to use an oral treatment and it was a little tuff getting the tort to take it. If you can sneak it in his food and he will eat it all then that would be great, but if not syringe forcing it may be necessary and you will have to pry your torts mouth open :/ I had to use tweezers to get mine to open his mouth and take the meds.

That is terrible, I am sorry you both had to go through that! I pretended to feed a cactus pad and when he opened his mouth to bite the cactus pad I squirted it in.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
That is terrible, I am sorry you both had to go through that! I pretended to feed a cactus pad and when he opened his mouth to bite the cactus pad I squirted it in.

Yeah it wasn't fun, if he was still eating it would have been easier but he wasn't :(

karalisa78

5 Year Member
Ok, update...got the meds yesterday and we were not able to give them to him. He would not open his mouth! They said for me to take him home and try, but still couldn't. Ended up injecting into a banana, most of which he ate this am(it sat out all night) but I'm worried he didn't get it all.

The vet has no idea how to treat tortoises so when I called this am, they were clueless. The prescribed pyrantel. Just making sure that's ok, because now my tort is super sleepy.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I don't think it's a fluke worm I think it's Ascarids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascaris

Sorry I got behind while researching and then finished up reading and you already know it's a roundworm.....glad they got your RT treated and how scarey this whole ordeal must be!!! for you and your little guy too bad you had to take the new baby back but in the end you RT will appreciate not having to compete.

karalisa78

5 Year Member
This is so gross. Petsmart reassured me this type could not be transferred to humans, but now I'm wondering. Ugggh!

Status
Not open for further replies.