Greek in need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello every one! This might be a long post but please bare with me! I really need your help.

First let start with my tortoise. Her name is Shelby and recently she out grew her last enclosure. I just bout the zoomed housing enclosure and made an outdoor enclosure for the day time.

When I finally move her to the zoomed housing, she got really active. I'm guessing that she's still gettin falmiliar with the place. She ate a lot and she looked normal.

After a week or two, she became latargic and she hasn't been eating. Got freaked out and that's when I decided to finally build her an outdoor enclosure. Even then, she's still the same. I began soaking her on a daily basis an she began eatin again. Also I changed her diet to her favorite food... Romaine lettuce. I would crush the pellet supplements and sprinkle it on her food and spray it with water so it would stick to the lettuce.

I was relieve that she eat but it was just a small portion. This has been going on for 11/2 weeks! Somedays none at all!

I was reading online to soak her with baby carrots/baby food carrots. I'm planning on doing that.

Just to give you guys general information, her indoor enclosure's temp is at 90-95 degrees on basking and 75-80 on cooler end. 75 degrees at night. Humidity is kept at about 60-80. I'm using UVB/heat lamp combo (not coiled bulbs). The blue heating bulb for night time. Substrate of coconut husk.

Outdoor enclosure of 3ft by 5ft... Grass with plenty of shades. Dandelions and clovers for grazing. And her bowl for soaking.

When she's outside she's very active. But sleeps when brought in. I plan to take her to the vet soon but I'm wondering if you guys have any input on this. Please I can use all the help I can get!

She's a Testudo Graeca Ibera.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Hi, I also bought the zoo med enclosure. It is made from fir pine which has a very high amount of out gas when new (smells almost like cedar). I have aired mine out outside for a month and just sealed it yesterday with a water based sealant.

I don't know if this is your issue but something to look for as that can be quite overpowering. Someone should be along to help soon! Good luck.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Could it be possible that the blue night bulb is messing with her sleep schedule? Maybe try a CHE instead for night time heat.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
Greeks can stand temps down to about 60F. If your house stays above that temp at night you shouldn't have to have a heat lamp for the night. I turn on my light and CHE at 6 am and shut them down at 8. Minus the not eating thing my Greek is pretty much the same way. She'll be active a little bit in the morning waiting for her food, but when she's in her inside space she usually doesn't do much. Occasionally she will scan her perimeter, lay out under the heat lamp or check out her water dish. Rarely does she do more than that inside. As soon as we take her out either to be inside or to her outdoor space, she livens up. And as far as I know she is very healthy and happy. I could be wrong here but maybe she is about to lay some eggs. From what I understand they will get less active and maybe eat less when they are about to lay eggs. Again I could be wrong but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
I did the baby food carrot soak for 30-45 mins today... And... She ate right after!!! I'm so freaking happy... I mean, she almost ate an entire leaf today!!! This pass days she would take a nibble but this time around she was munching... Ill keep you guys updated on how she's doing...

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
jjsull33 said:
Could it be possible that the blue night bulb is messing with her sleep schedule? Maybe try a CHE instead for night time heat.

i have always used the blue bulb. its a moonlight bulb. thats what i have used since i had her. that or the red.

Sterling Thunder said:
Hi, I also bought the zoo med enclosure. It is made from fir pine which has a very high amount of out gas when new (smells almost like cedar). I have aired mine out outside for a month and just sealed it yesterday with a water based sealant.

I don't know if this is your issue but something to look for as that can be quite overpowering. Someone should be along to help soon! Good luck.

This may be the problem.. im going to place her back to the tank and do the same... thanks for the heads up...

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Just be sure to bring it in when it rains! I am glad your little guy is doing a bit better.

Jlant85 said:
jjsull33 said:

i have always used the blue bulb. its a moonlight bulb. thats what i have used since i had her. that or the red.

Sterling Thunder said:

This may be the problem.. im going to place her back to the tank and do the same... thanks for the heads up...

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Sterling Thunder said:

OMG I SWITCHED HER BACK TO HER OLD ENCLOSURE AND SHE WAS BACK TO NORMAL! I MEAN LESS THAN ONE DAY AND SHES BACK TO NORMAL EATING! DAMN THAT ZOOMED TORT HOUSE! Im in the process of airing it out now... dont know if i can wait a month tho >.< Plus im modding it also and replaced one of the side into glass. Thanks for this information! YOU HELP ME OUT A LOT AND GOT THE STRESS OFF MY BACK!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yay! The baby food soaks ... ahhhhh, spa! ... really help when they are stressed over whatever they stress about. Glad you saw that first hand also.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA
Jlant85 said:
Sterling Thunder said:

OMG I SWITCHED HER BACK TO HER OLD ENCLOSURE AND SHE WAS BACK TO NORMAL! I MEAN LESS THAN ONE DAY AND SHES BACK TO NORMAL EATING! DAMN THAT ZOOMED TORT HOUSE! Im in the process of airing it out now... dont know if i can wait a month tho >.< Plus im modding it also and replaced one of the side into glass. Thanks for this information! YOU HELP ME OUT A LOT AND GOT THE STRESS OFF MY BACK!

I see so many post about new torts, new enclosures, or both and then read about the problems a week or so later. No one ever considers the out gassing. I am very glad this helped you. I went a month because I could, a few really hot days in direct sunlight should be enough to clear it out. Make sure the lids are open when you do it.

mine is heavily modified as well. I am finishing the build in the next few days and will post it and the step by step pictures early next week, then i will be testing temp regulation and humidity consistency, maybe we can compare notes.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Sterling Thunder said:
Jlant85 said:
Sterling Thunder said:

I see so many post about new torts, new enclosures, or both and then read about the problems a week or so later. No one ever considers the out gassing. I am very glad this helped you. I went a month because I could, a few really hot days in direct sunlight should be enough to clear it out. Make sure the lids are open when you do it.

mine is heavily modified as well. I am finishing the build in the next few days and will post it and the step by step pictures early next week, then i will be testing temp regulation and humidity consistency, maybe we can compare notes.

That is awesome! Please PM me when you do post it up! I want to get more ideas on what i want to do w/ mine! I just really want to say thank you once again! My heart dropped when i saw her demolishing the cactus i got her! Even today, She was more energetic than usual and actually escaped her outdoor enclosure for the first time! once again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

First I want to thank all of you for your input and guidance! I just wanted to give you guys some update on Shelby and inform you guys that she's back up and running again! She recovering nicely and she's on a daily again. Today i got her some cactus and actually chased me around for it! ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE! I will take everything you guys has thought me and hopefully pass it on to the next person w/ tort is need of advises... Thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.