pancake nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelleC

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me if they think my pancakes nails are to long. I've only had him for a little over two weeks so don't yell at me :) They seem awfully long to me
024.jpg

012.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Easy with the 50% Ed. :p From the pictures thats right where the quick is.

Rachelle I'd take only about 25% off all the long nails. Always being careful of where the quick is in the nail.

Danny

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
yes i do think 50% would be correct. that lighter area in the middle looks to be the quick, cut there. if it bleeds treat as you would your dog. apply light presure. the blood will clot soon and all will be well.........ed

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They sell clotting powder for birds. you just put a bit of the powder on the nail thats bleeding. It's very handy to have around. :)

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That powder is the same stuff that is used for dogs one name is STOP QUICK. they sell it at Petsmart, Petco and just about any other Petshop. Even works for People. :) Just ask any sales person and they will be happy to get it for you. I love Stop Quick it work really well. And as Danny said it is very handy to have around. It even stopped my bleeding when I cut my arm a year or so ago.

S

stells

I'm sorry but why on earth would you want to do 50% and maybe make the tortoise bleed?? i would rather make sure i had a little bit of nail left after the quick.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
a steptic pencil would work also. and if you dont have that or Quick Stop, flour or cornstarch in a pinch would work. Always best to take less to begin with. Dont go too short if you can help it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And once you have them trimmed, being outside in a regular habitat with dirt and rocks will help them stay trimmed.

Yvonne[/i]

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Trim the nails back bit by bit (1/4) with scissor type cat clipper (not the ones with finger holes). This will drive the quick back and then you can cut to proper length. Climbing rocks are essential for this type of tort for both physical and mental health.

Status
Not open for further replies.