Panacur

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
Can I give my tortoise the required amount of panacur to remove worms even if I don't know if they have worms? I guess I'm thinking of doing it as a preventive measure. My tortoise live outdoors and it's hard to regulate what they eat. They don't have any signs of being sick. But I was wondering if I could give them the panacur as a way to cure them if they have worms. But I don't want to put my tortoises in any unnecessary harm. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you so much.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would not treat for worms unless I knew that I had an issue and You will need a veteranian to suggest the dosage amounts.
It would be giving poison that is not necessary.
A year or two ago I had a case of round worms. (My torts. Not me.) My vet sold me some Panacur and a dosage amount list.
I treated and it worked. Now I do a treatment once a year. This is actually year two and if I don't see them pass worm again, I will stop treating.
Get some poo and place it in a bag and visit a vet. The fecal test is pretty cheap and if there is a low parasite load, or none at all, don't bother.
My infected tortoise had such a large issue that living round worms were actually being passed in her poo. She then infected the others because I had NOT quarantined her as I should have.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Keep in mind that most tortoises have some parasites and a healthy tortoise will often suffer no ill effects from it.
So I've learned since I found this forum.............

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
Thanks zero pilot. I appreciate the response. I know your a South Florida resident and I happen to reside in pembroke pines. Could you recommend your tort vet please. Now that I begin to care more for them in the winter. (Bringing them in and out on cold nights and days.) I could collect fecal samples from all my torts and get them checked

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
De-worming medication is poison. That's why it kills parasites. Poison. I wouldn't give my tortoise poison if there wasn't a need for it. Taking a fecal sample to a vet usually won't cost too much and you gain a lot in peace of mind.

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
Yea that's the a good idea Yvonne. Hopefully zeropilot can give me a good recommendation for a tort vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any vet can look through a microscope and tell if there are parasite eggs, it doesn't have to be a tortoise vet.