Redfoot Not Eating, Lethargic

rmn813

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
I have a 10 inch WC male that came to me a few months ago. He was eating fine up until a couple weeks ago. He stopped eating and is moving around less. He is still drinking every other day.

I thought it was worms and administered (2) doses of panacur over a 10 day period. Not seeing much difference. I would like to take him in for a fecal exam but because his appetite has been very low, he's not going to the bathroom.

Any ideas on what this could be?

P

pguinpro

I have a 10 inch WC male that came to me a few months ago. He was eating fine up until a couple weeks ago. He stopped eating and is moving around less. He is still drinking every other day.

I thought it was worms and administered (2) doses of panacur over a 10 day period. Not seeing much difference. I would like to take him in for a fecal exam but because his appetite has been very low, he's not going to the bathroom.

Any ideas on what this could be?
If he's not eating fecal test isn't going to help if you can't get a sample. I don't have much experience but I'm sure others will chime in soon. Just make sure food and water is available.

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Not being able to get a fecal sample is the kicker. That's where all the info is.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Treating for parasites without knowing if there are parasites is a horrible idea. Especially if you also guessed about the dosage and a poison not targeted to a specific parasite.
However, it's already done.
Other information would greatly help.
Like how are you keeping the animal? Temperature, lighting, etc.
There are many reasons why a Redfoot would not eat. Parasites is one of them. So is being too cold and being too warm. Lack of humidity and dehydration. Discomfort in other forms like fear of surroundings, other larger or more dominant tortoises and very bright lights . Eye issues, mouth problems and poisoning To name a few.
Yours is wild caught? Because I've never heard of a wild caught Redfoot in America. Certainly not in Florida. I mean why? But it could ad several other health issues into the guessing. And if you have other Redfoot. Keep this guy quarantined!
More information would be extremely helpful.

Last edited:

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I live on the west coast of Florida. I keep all tortoises outside. This male lives in a well planted enclosure 10ft x 10ft. He lives in this enclosure with two other redfoots who aren't showing any signs of problems. The tortoise was supposedly "farm raised" and imported into the U.S. I have reason to believe he was wild caught and bypassed the farm on his way here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it was from a farm, then it could be over 25-30 years old. And it could indeed have been wild caught.
But since they breed so prolifically here. I don't think many have been imported since then.
And at 10". That would only be an 8 or 9 year old animal. If that. So that theory is no good. (But it certainly still could be wild caught.)
Wild caught tortoise come to us pretty heavily infested with parasites. And otherwise unhealthy and have a tougher time settling down in captivity. Especially if forced to live with other Redfoot. It's not normal for them. They don't thrive in captivity.
I had an animal like this. She came from a farm. Sick. Stopped eating, etc. No signs of parasites. She ate nothing for about 3 months.
My vet saved her life with a esophageal tube surgery and some wide spectrum antibiotics, but she never actually found the issue. The tortoise lived. But the eventual bill was very expensive.
A sub adult Redfoot is a tough, resilient animal.
Sorry I don't have more help for you.
I suggest you find a vet that knows tortoises. Many say that they do but few seldom actually know much about them.

Last edited:

rmn813

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Thanks ZeroPilot. Your experience seems to be similar. I was hoping that folks with similar experiences with imports would chime in. I haven't found anyone in my area with real strong tortoise veterinarian experience. What's worked best in the past is for me to do a fecal test so I can go in and say this is what we've got. How do you suggest treating it?

Anyone else out there with similar experiences with imported RFs?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I always consult my vet before I act.
For a while, I had been doing my own parasite tests with my own flea market find microscope. Then googling the type of worm. Etc.
(I've stopped doing this)
If your animal is drinking. That's good. He can go several weeks without food.
I'd try hard to find something.....Anything that he will eat. Mango, Watermelon, etc. And let him eat that until he gets some strength.
But I'm no vet. You might need one. I would not have been successful without mine.
Isolated him. Keep him calm. Keep him warm. And offer sweet treats daily. Redfoot can eat sugary food and it will provide the energy he needs to fight whatever he has.