Painted turtles !

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
What kind of painted turtles are these ? My neighbor gave them to me and he said one laid eggs , and also I think they have leaches , how do I get rid of them ??? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401741731.080190.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401741742.309871.jpg it's 3 of them .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
can we get a bottom shell shot, they (painteds have a unique design), Only way I know of getting rid of leeches is to burn them off, just pulling them off can still leaves the mouths there.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401742104.293338.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401742222.609887.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401742235.760422.jpg this is how they look I think two of them are females

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
def. older painted turtles, can't help with gender, bad at sexing them. Nice size turtles.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I think he cough them today :| thy are wild !! Do u think I should let them go in a river there is one close to my house ¿?

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thank you guys !! I found out they are wild ! And I'm going to release them in a rive near my home , I just don't know is I should get rid off the leaches first ?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Check your laws on releasing before you do so, Personally I would get rid of the leeches.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you put salt on leaches they will die and fall off in minutes .

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
I'm going to try that ! Thank you so much ! I'll let you know the results !

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
It worked !! I put salt on the lichees and after like 2 or 3 minutes they detached them selfs (I used a stick to get them out of the hard to reach places )
I'll post more pics of them being release back in the wild In about an hour or two !

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Lol i hate leeches thanks for sharing !!! I released them and they looked really happy ! I made another post where I posted all the pics !!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. Mike are correct. Salt work well to dealing with leeches. Please show us where you release them!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yes they are Midland painted turtles.. getting older. Might even have some western blood in there too.. based on plastron design and location - their territories cross!

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Thank you guys ! I released them back in the wild they were beautiful turtles and it was a pleasure to help them get rid of the leeches they had , "wild things belong in the wild" :)

turtledan77

If I had to guess, I would say that they are midlands painted turtles... but they almost have the look of a southern on the top (minus the stripe). Might be a cross?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They don't look to be dorsalis to me in any way. I am in agreement that they appear most to be Midlands, perhaps with a touch of Western traits. Aside from the morphological appearance, which doesn't look like dorsalis, these turtles are also fairly large, which also doesn't help the argument for Southerns, the smallest members of the genus.

Every photo appears to show females as well. Each plastron photo is of a female. In the photo with two turtles, th one on the left doesn't show enough tail or claws, but if that one was part of the plastron shot, then these are both females.

Hope that helps.