Painted Turtle with Cracked Shell

Flavonic

Location (City and/or State)
Leesburg, VA
Hello,

I am new to these forums and I apologize if I'm posting this to the wrong thread or wrong forum in general. I'm in Northern Virginia and I found what I believe to be a youngish painted turtle with a cracked shell on the road near my home. I have rehabbed box turtles with similar wounds in the past and released them healthy near exact to where I found them. I've researched as much as possible on the painted turtle and what exactly to do but am still alittle unsure.

After 4 days with me, the crack is no longer an open wound (no blood, etc.) I've been keeping him dry for the most part aside from a low tray of water. These guys spend most of their time in water so while I want to keep him dry, I'm alittle worried about his health from not being able to spend time in the water. He gets alot of outside sun time each day with a shaded area, and I pull him back in the house for the nights. I have him in a large bin filled with reptile bark bedding. He ate his first meal of blood worms the other day. He is extremely active and healthy. I'm tempted to release him soon to get him back in the wild as I'm worried captivity will affect his health.

I guess some of my questions are...

When should I release him?
Where should I release him? Assuming near the same spot though it's not near a pond.
Should I introduce water that he can submerge in at some point?
Should I give him a heat lamp for when he is not able to bask in the sun?

Rehabbing the box turtles was easy. All this guy wants to do is get out! Please any good advice is welcomed. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG-4656.JPG
    IMG-4656.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG-4655.JPG
    IMG-4655.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can only say what I would do. I have never rehabbed a turtle.
If the wound is not open, where maggots could be laid in it, then I would release him where you found him but of course not near a road. If there is absolutely no pond or stream near by, then I'm not sure I would release at all. However he may have escaped from someone's home pond. Maybe you could ask around in the area you found him if there are any ponds close.
I would make sure he can swim and submerge before I released him.
If all seems good to release, I would feed him a good meal just before release.
Yes, he should have a basking light if he can't get outside.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Totally agree with Wellington. Thanks for caring! He looks good.