Injured Painted Turtle Cracked Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanish

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, I rescued a 6 inch painted turtle from the highway, one week ago, the injury appears to be only to the shell, a 2 inch crack from above the neck and straight back. It is separated about 1/4 inch, no discharge. One eye is swollen shut, the other ok and clear. His back legs move strongly and he raises his butt up but his front legs appear weak. It has been a week, I have kept him in low clean water and introduced dried shrimp from pet food store, he occasionally mouth breathes and reacts to a light touch. I am afraid to leave him totally unattended because I don't know if his front limbs are strong enough to keep him above water. I have gently lowered him into over his head water but he just floats and went lifted up he mouth breathes. When I first picked him off of the road, I just thought nature would take it's course and the next day he would at least be humanely passed away. But he is a fighter and has survived a week. I have kept him in light brush where there is a variety of small bugs etc. I haven't seen him eat altho I don't know. I have called a society near me in Orangeville but until they call back, any other suggestions. I think his front legs may be internally injured. When he deeply breathes they move and he can move them with a jerk. HELP

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Did you try the herp society I told you about in the other post?? Your best bet if you can't find the herp society is to look for a vet. It sounds like he has a respitory infection and a infection or lack of vitamins to cause the eye problem. If he has a crack in his shell then he has an infection, he is going to need shots, his spine checked to see if they can do anything for the front legs. I will look for a vet in Ontario for you..

Here is a list of vets in ontario...

Dr. Wolfgang Zenker, 3060 Lakeshore Rd. West, Oakville, Ontario, Canada L6L 1J2, Phone (905) 827-1171 Fax (905) 827-1175
**Ontario veterinary college, veterinary teaching college, wild bird clinic, (519) 824-4120
**Bonnie Beresford, Heritage Veterinary Hospital, 200 Lorraine Ave, unit 7, Kitchener, Ontario N2B 3R3, 519-743-9924
**Recommended on the list by herp caretakers..
Hope this helps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If it truly is a water turtle, they can only eat under water.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.