Owners of Leopard Geckos, Please Help?

How much do you spend on food for your Leopard Gecko?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
I have just seen way to many people on here post incorrect info... I have also seen leo forums with people asking about torts... Just my experience.

I have seen people say that leos need UVB light and that belly heat is bad and that they are nocturnal...
( to make it clear. leos are Crepuscular)

I have seen on leo forums that tortoises eat crickets, need heat rocks, are good on newspaper, and don't need UVB lights...

haha this is just some things I remember and I just hope you don't run into anything like this.. Just watching out for you that is all.

ckidd_1999 said:
Alot if tort owners own leopard geckos, like me. U should always tho go to many sources that u trust for info and compare it

And this was my intention... Not to bash on anything, just making it clear as I stated that it is always a good Idea to get info from multiple sources.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
chase thorn said:
I have just seen way to many people on here post incorrect info... I have also seen leo forums with people asking about torts... Just my experience.

I have seen people say that leos need UVB light and that belly heat is bad and that they are nocturnal...
( to make it clear. leos are Crepuscular)

I have seen on leo forums that tortoises eat crickets, need heat rocks, are good on newspaper, and don't need UVB lights...

haha this is just some things I remember and I just hope you don't run into anything like this.. Just watching out for you that is all.

And this was my intention... Not to bash on anything, just making it clear as I stated that it is always a good Idea to get info from multiple sources.

Yah I totally understand where ur coming from. I was just saying tht not everybody lies on tort forums about leos

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
chase thorn said:
I wouldn't say lie haha, More like not as educated.

Haha ok. Then not everybody is uneducated about Leo's on a tort forum

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I think, Chase Thorn, that you are being unintentionally rude....the way that you phrased what you said didn't sound like you were suggesting that I ask multiple sources, rather that the tortoiseforum members couldn't provide correct information and so I should look elsewhere. I think that there was just some mis-phrasing going on :) should I take your advice to the letter then I would be inclined to disregard any information that you yourself provided, as you are on the tortoiseforum also, regardless of whichever other forums you have made yourself a member of lol ^-^ I thank you again, ckidd_1999, for your patience with my newbie questions, by the way lol.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
chase thorn said:
A bulb is still not ideal for a leo... A UTH with a stat will do best and have the best outcome for a healthy leo. The humid hide should always be warm no matter where you put it as cold and humidity equals a RI.

Although I am on a leo forum... I would never ask them about tortoise advise :p I suggest joining a leo forum for any later issues. Here you will get a lot of mixed info.

A low wattage black heat bulb heating up the tiles and rocks is belly heat as well, and is just fine. As long as the tiles and rocks have the correct surface temperature there will be no problems. How do you think the rocks get heated up in nature? By the heat from above. There are no undertank heaters in nature.

Oh, and I'm not sure if I mentioned it before. You need an infrared temperature gun. It's the most accurate way to measure surface temperatures. They are invaluable tools.

She can ask leo questions here. I'm actually more experienced with leopard geckos than I am with turtle/tortoises. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
It seems like I'm too late to this thread to add any advice that hasn't already been used :p Just thought I would add one of my own personal experiences. My leo likes to sleep in her humid hide during the day and pretty much ignores it at night. So I have it on the cool side of his enclosure but have a regular 40 watt light bulb that keeps the cool side at a nice 78 degrees during the day which drops down to low 70s at night, just to keep her warm while she's sleeping :p

In the summer I use tiles but in the winter I take those out and put in paper towels because the tile just doesn't seem to heat up as well as it did in the summer. I always try to make sure that the UTH keeps the tile/paper towels at about 95-100 degrees

The Gecko gets between 4 and 6 small crickets every night. I have heard that mealworms, roaches, etc are easier but I have tree frogs that eat the small crickets and can't eat mealworms or roaches so I just feed her those as more of a convenience thing than anything else.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Alright, so so far I am going to get the following - a 20 gallon tank or custom enclosure (whichever ends up being cheaper, as I'm not the one who would be building the custom enclosure, and it would have to be shipped here. I'm horrible with building things that actually have to be used lol....), mealworms (mini), for the substrate I'm going to use ZooMed Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet, I'm getting a mealworm dish (Lee's) and a repi-ramp water dish (the smallest kind), the hides will be decided upon when I go to get them (and will be picked based first of all on what will work and second of all on what is the least expensive in that category), a ZooMed UTH, a ReptiTherm 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat, Repashy Calcium plus, a ZooMed ReptiTemp Digital Infrared Thermometer, Natural Terrarum Frog Moss and a 50-75watt red heat bulb (not sure on the brand or exact wattage yet, it'll again be chosen when I go to pick up the enclosure items). Does everything on that list sound about right?

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
mira_kaylee said:
Alright, so so far I am going to get the following - a 20 gallon tank or custom enclosure (whichever ends up being cheaper, as I'm not the one who would be building the custom enclosure, and it would have to be shipped here. I'm horrible with building things that actually have to be used lol....), mealworms (mini), for the substrate I'm going to use ZooMed Eco Reptile Terrarium Carpet, I'm getting a mealworm dish (Lee's) and a repi-ramp water dish (the smallest kind), the hides will be decided upon when I go to get them (and will be picked based first of all on what will work and second of all on what is the least expensive in that category), a ZooMed UTH, a ReptiTherm 500R Remote Sensor Thermostat, Repashy Calcium plus, a ZooMed ReptiTemp Digital Infrared Thermometer, Natural Terrarum Frog Moss and a 50-75watt red heat bulb (not sure on the brand or exact wattage yet, it'll again be chosen when I go to pick up the enclosure items). Does everything on that list sound about right?

Everything sounds great! U can also put some decor in there if u like. I wouldn't use the repti ramp water dish Bc I personally think it's ugly and doesn't the bring natural environment tht I like. I use a rock water dish. But thts just my preference. I Hv nothing against the water dish. But sounds like you will have a great setup for ur lil baby. Just make sure ur water isn't so deep tht it could drown if it fell all the way in and couldn't get out. Post pics of the baby when u get it. And yes a temperature gun is way better than a thermometer tht goes in the cage. Feed it about 3-6 worms daily if its a baby. But I would ask about the feeding schedule to be 100% sure b I hvnt owned a baby Leo in a long time. Ask any more questions here or PM me if u need anyhing

Also I would put the worms in a feeding dish so they don't escape and hard to find.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
mira_kaylee said:

Sounds good! To save a little money you can just buy a regular red tinted light bulb at a hardware store. Really isn't different.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I plan on getting some kind of decoration, but to be honest I don't know if I'm going to end up having to start my gecko out in a 10 gallon or if I'll end up finding my 20 gallon like I want, so I'm holding off on buying anything that I may not be able to use as I'm on a budget lol ^0^ I thought that the reptiramp water dish was a good idea because 1.) that's what my gecko will be used to, as that's what is in it's enclosure at the pet store. 2.) if definitely won't drown or knock the water dish over, as they are sturdy and have a ramp going down into the actual bowl. I plan on making food readily available at all times in a mealworm dish like they do at the pet store, only definitely fewer worms lol. I am going to buy the set up shortly before getting the actual gecko on December 31st, and I will definitely post pictures :D The pet store associates actually kept insisting that I shouldn't get the particular gecko that I wanted because there were many other "prettier" geckos (aka ones with brighter or more contrasting colors) but I am firmly grounded in my decision, I'll be getting a small gecko that is a dull gray color with slight bands of faded yellow along its tail and body. I was shocked and felt so bad for the little guy after hearing them talk about him like that, as if he was less of a gecko because he wasn't like neon yellow like the others....I decided that he was the best gecko in the entire tank and he was coming home with me once I did my research and got his tank together ^0^

I didn't know that they made red tinted light bulbs for general use.....and they do the exact same thing? What are they normally used for?

Also, what are the minimum and maximum safe tank sizes for one leo? I've heard that one 10gal tank can last one leo his whole life while others say that you need a 20gal at the very least. Also, would a 50gal be too big for a leo? It seems like it would be but I may have a chance to get one for a decent price and if it turns out that they'd do just fine in a 50gal then I may consider getting it.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
mira_kaylee said:
I plan on getting some kind of decoration, but to be honest I don't know if I'm going to end up having to start my gecko out in a 10 gallon or if I'll end up finding my 20 gallon like I want, so I'm holding off on buying anything that I may not be able to use as I'm on a budget lol ^0^ I thought that the reptiramp water dish was a good idea because 1.) that's what my gecko will be used to, as that's what is in it's enclosure at the pet store. 2.) if definitely won't drown or knock the water dish over, as they are sturdy and have a ramp going down into the actual bowl. I plan on making food readily available at all times in a mealworm dish like they do at the pet store, only definitely fewer worms lol. I am going to buy the set up shortly before getting the actual gecko on December 31st, and I will definitely post pictures :D The pet store associates actually kept insisting that I shouldn't get the particular gecko that I wanted because there were many other "prettier" geckos (aka ones with brighter or more contrasting colors) but I am firmly grounded in my decision, I'll be getting a small gecko that is a dull gray color with slight bands of faded yellow along its tail and body. I was shocked and felt so bad for the little guy after hearing them talk about him like that, as if he was less of a gecko because he wasn't like neon yellow like the others....I decided that he was the best gecko in the entire tank and he was coming home with me once I did my research and got his tank together ^0^

I didn't know that they made red tinted light bulbs for general use.....and they do the exact same thing? What are they normally used for?

Also, what are the minimum and maximum safe tank sizes for one leo? I've heard that one 10gal tank can last one leo his whole life while others say that you need a 20gal at the very least. Also, would a 50gal be too big for a leo? It seems like it would be but I may have a chance to get one for a decent price and if it turns out that they'd do just fine in a 50gal then I may consider getting it.

I'm not exactly sure what they would be used for but at hardware stores and maybe even places like walmart you can find any color of tinted light bulbs. I remember I used to have a red nightlight when I was younger, I thought it was the coolest frickin' thing :p

My leo will be in a ten gallon for his whole life, and he has plenty of room (even though I have a hide that is way too big in there for him :p ) But that being said, you can never go TOO big, so if you can get the 50 gallon for cheap, by all means you can do it.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Alright, thank you lots for your advice :D
CourtneyAndCarl said:
mira_kaylee said:

I'm not exactly sure what they would be used for but at hardware stores and maybe even places like walmart you can find any color of tinted light bulbs. I remember I used to have a red nightlight when I was younger, I thought it was the coolest frickin' thing :p

My leo will be in a ten gallon for his whole life, and he has plenty of room (even though I have a hide that is way too big in there for him :p ) But that being said, you can never go TOO big, so if you can get the 50 gallon for cheap, by all means you can do it.

ckidd_1999

5 Year Member
mira_kaylee said:

I would say a 20 gal max. A 50 gal would be WAY to big for a baby Leo, he wouldn't be able to find his food or water easily. Also check the Leo to make sure ur getting a 100% healthy gecko. Check his vent, mouth, skin, eyes and nose and make sure they are clear and clean. If any of those aren't then it may be sick and require lots of money to make it healthy again. Just check it before u purchase and ask if can hold it. If u can, then pick one up and if it doesn't move much then it could be signs tht it's too weak to defend itself. If it moves all then tht means its very alert which is good. But everything sounds PERFECT!!! Good luck with ur little guy. PM me if u Hv any questions. Iv owned Leo's for about 7 yrs now

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
ckidd_1999 said:
I would say a 20 gal max. A 50 gal would be WAY to big for a baby Leo, he wouldn't be able to find his food or water easily. Also check the Leo to make sure ur getting a 100% healthy gecko. Check his vent, mouth, skin, eyes and nose and make sure they are clear and clean. If any of those aren't then it may be sick and require lots of money to make it healthy again. Just check it before u purchase and ask if can hold it. If u can, then pick one up and if it doesn't move much then it could be signs tht it's too weak to defend itself. If it moves all then tht means its very alert which is good. But everything sounds PERFECT!!! Good luck with ur little guy. PM me if u Hv any questions. Iv owned Leo's for about 7 yrs now

Ditto to the picking a healthy one. I didn't really have an option on mine and all I can say is that its a pain in the butt trying to bring one back from the dead if you end up with a sick one, but its definitely not impossible (my half dead leo was my first ever reptile and I actually managed to not screw anything up).

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I held it for a few minutes and it was incredibly active and had bright clear eyes and a clear nose, I didn't check much else but to be honest if it's still there I'm really really set on getting that particular one no matter what.....I'm the kind of person who walks into a pet store and gets attached to one particular animal for no identifiable reason other than because THAT'S the one, and I'd be able to identify the correct 'IT animal' out of a thousand animals who looked just like it. (Just like with my male Russian Tortoise, Ayden.) I don't know why, but when I held each of the geckos I just knew that that little guy was the one that I was going to get.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Alright, so I bought my two Leopard Geckos on Wednesday December 26th. One is a Mack Snow and one is a Blazing Blizzard. They are just shy of being as long as my index finger so they're still pretty young. Within 24 hours of being in their new enclosure they both had eaten at least 3 crickets apiece but wouldn't/ won't touch mealworms or waxworms. I have put crickets in their enclosure both yesterday and today but they won't touch them (I removed the crickets after about an hour of watching the geckos scurry away anytime one got near). I thought that maybe they were having trouble finding the escaping crickets so I took most of their large furniture out of the pen but they still didn't show any interest in the crickets other than to run away when the crickets came near (said furniture is now replaced btw). The crickets are mini's, very tiny, so I honestly don't think that the crickets are too big. Their warm side temperatures go between 88F and 95F, they have a water dish, mealworm dish, one hide on the warm end, one on the cool end and a moist hide in between, and several flat rocks to sit and bask on. They have a zoo med heat mat that is on a thermostat and a 75w night time bulb that doesn't come on very often but is there just in case. At the pet store they were in not even a 5gal tank with at least 10 other geckos so to keep them from stressing too much I put them in a 10gal tank and plan on buying a 20gal long to upgrade them to when they get a bit larger and get used to not sharing with a dozen other geckos so that they have ample space. They are on reptile carpet, and while the mack snow tends to stay on or in the warm hide most of the time the blazing blizzard has kind of claimed the rock above the heating pad in the corner for himself lol (again when I say him it is just to make things simpler, as they are too young to sex yet). I was prepared to wait a few days to see them eat but after they ate within 24 hours and now have stopped so I don't know what to think....should I be worried? My first tortoise took about a week to eat much of anything and now is a little piglet, but the geckos seem much more fragile than a tortoise so I am a bit concerned....they were both fairly skinny when I got them, based on adult proportions that I have seen pictures of. I hope that I gave enough information as to their origins and enclosure and that maybe someone can shed a little light on this for me, preemptive thank yous! :)

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Oops sorry I guess I forgot about the pictures! Here you go, here's the pictures of the geckos themselves and the pictures of their set up :) The Blazing Blizzard is named Atlantis and the Mack Snow is named Tartarus. Still too young to sex so they got names that worked for either lol.

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 16
  • download-2.jpg
    download-2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 23
  • download-3.jpg
    download-3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 22
  • download-5.jpg
    download-5.jpg