Overgrown beak

mrmoewmeow

Location (City and/or State)
washington
my turtles beak is overgrown :(
ive seen a few videos on how to trim it but should I see the vet about it?
and should we find a vet that's specialties in the reptile community? my local one im unsure if it does reptiles, ill ask to call in to check

20220328_085725.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can trim it with toe nail clippers, but don't try to take the whole thing off in one bite. Use the edge or corner of the clipper and just take off tiny bites at a time.

mrmoewmeow

washington
You can trim it with toe nail clippers, but don't try to take the whole thing off in one bite. Use the edge or corner of the clipper and just take off tiny bites at a time.
ty! how do i keep his head out? he normally tucks it in if we get to close without food

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Will they leave their shell eventually if you place your fingers either side of where they will pop their head out?

Wait until they leave their shell again and if you are able to close your fingers together behind their head, it should prevent them from being able to retreat into their shell. This may be easier with two people instead of one, one person holding the animal still and the other cutting the beak.

There should be videos online teaching people how to administer medicine to a turtle or tortoise, copy how the veterinary surgeons immobilise the animal (For administering oral medication) and go from there with the clippers.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Alternate is to find a local reptile shop that knows how to trim beaks and claws.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello 🙂 I have a little Russian and he had an overgrown beak. I used a vet for that because he needed a vet anyway. That gave me the opportunity to get him checked out and see if I liked the vet in the first and most important place.🤔🤗