Outdoor Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
So today I decided to make Nubs an outdoor enclosure for the sunny days. It measures about 3'x9' which should be plenty of roaming room. Until I can make a lid it can only be used for daytime use. I planted poppies and some lettuce mixes as well. Any suggestions for watering? Does the wet soil bother the RT?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love it.

Where are you? The damp soil wouldn't bother one here in the dry Southwest, but it may be different if you were somewhere like FL.

One suggestion: You should probably get some more of the flat top bricks and cover those corners. There are a lot of footholds there and russians are supreme climbers and escape artists. The corners are where this is most likely.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I'm in Northern California. I will do more climb proofing. On the long side it has a 2" overhang on the inside so he cant climb out that way, but the far end is not secure.

The plants are Fescue.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Depending on your location you might want to consider a top that you can close to protect from predators at night. I know that in my area we have a serious problem with skunks, raccoons, and foxes.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
littleatella said:
Any suggestions for watering? Does the wet soil bother the RT?

When full sun is hitting the enclosure I wouldn't worry about watering. The damp soil will be ok with warm/hot temperatures.

What I watch for is watering on cool days or even warm days when the pen is shaded. In the shade on even a "warm" day the ground will get too cool if its watered. On these days I water after my tort is in his night box or in your case, after you bring him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.