Outdoor Russian Heating Question

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
Hi All,
Background: I have a russian outdoors year round in the bay area, where temperatures average about 40 as the low and 60's as a high in winter (which is short) and 50-60 as the low and 80s as the high in summer. The enclosure is about 12'x4' fully enclosed, with about 3 feet of dirt below for burrowing/digging, and fully planted. The russian is a "rescue", I fully assume wild caught. I've had her for about 5 years with no health concerns that I've observed.

There is a small cold frame one one end where the temperatures hover about 10-15 degrees higher in the sun, and a heated hide with a kane heat mat roof-mounted that is set to stay at 65.

Whatever the air temp is, the tortoise carapace usually hovers around 10 degrees warmer on average.

Question: These temps strike me as slightly low for a Russian and not every day is sunny (though beyond the "june gloom" we do tend mostly towards sunnier than say, SF proper). The Russian usually chooses to not go into the heated hide, and opts for a burrow she made, instead. She regularly uses the heated hide in the winter.

Should I encourage her to use the heated hide? I err on the side of providing options and "trusting" the tortoise, but open to more thoughts.

Additionally, at for some time (maybe a year?) I provided a basking spot with radiant heat during the day, with the temp directly under set to 90/100. I never observed that spot being used, so I took it out. I suspect that on sunny days she regularly finds her ideal temp basking "naturally". I'm second guessing that, and it's really just a guess in any case.

Recommendations or just some general insight welcome!

K8E K

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. CA
I'll clarify that she is active and foraging for a portion of each day. Just out of curiosity I just took temps. The air temperature outside is about 64, and it's cloudy. The temp on the carapace is about 85, and in the burrow about 80. Under the cold frame is about the same. She's hanging out in front of her burrow.