Outdoor play pen ideas and burrow ?'s

Kevin Kaz

I'm a first time tortoise owner!

Has any of your leopard tortoises ever burrow themselves in a new spot?

I'm a bit nervous about building a playpen just over dirt and freshly planted grass, I'm afraid they may burrow themselves and won't be able to find them. I'm thinking about building a base as a bottom so they have a limit of a certain depth if they do. I'm going to have several hiding spots in it, as well as a little spot of just dirt or coconut coir fiber. It's going to be pretty big too since I plan on getting 2 more tortoises. And have like 3 water dishes in there. I plan on building a screen top over it so I won't have to worry about predators.

How tall should I make the walls?
Should I build a base out of 2x4"s, so water can still drain?
How much dirt should I put on the bottom to grow the grass?
Is it safe to put clover in it?
How many hiding shelters for 3 tortoises?
How many water dishes?
Should I put extra food dishes for lettuce in besides the fresh grass that will be grown?

Anymore ideas?

Dimensions Approx.
10' long
5' wide

Picture included of the area!

Any other ideas to better the playpen?

PLEASE HELP!!!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Leopard tortoises aren't burrowers. They hide under the bushes. Once they've found a likely bush to hide under, they mush themselves back and forth, back and forth until they've made a bit of an indentation in the dirt and piled it up a tiny bit on either side of them.

I've never seen mine try to climb, so I'm going by MY tortoises when I say they don't climb. If you stand your leopard up on his back legs and imagine how far he can reach with his front legs, that's how tall (or a bit taller) you should make the sides. Bearing in mind that if he's not full grown, you should make it taller to accomodate his full grown size.

On the downhill side, you can place a couple pieces of PVC under the fence for drainage.

Depending upon what kind of grass you plant, Bermuda has very deep and STRONG roots. It can practically work its way through cement. I would just take a shovel and 'fluff' up the existing dirt, incorporating a bit of leaf litter to lighten it up some.

Clover is pretty invasive. I have clover in most of my tortoise yards. But if it starts to crowd out the grass, you should try to thin it out.

You would want at least one hiding place per tortoise, with maybe an additional for each so they have a choice.

I have one giant waterer for three leopard tortoises.

Once the grass takes over, you can just add greens on top of the grass. I don't have feeders in my leopard yards.

I don't think 5'x10' is going to be big enough for three full sized leopards. It may fit one, but not three. This yard is for two south African leopard tortoises:

leopard tortoise yard 3-10-14.jpg

And three babcock leopards live is this yard:

leopard tortoise yard 3-10-14 b.jpg

Kevin Kaz

Leopard tortoises aren't burrowers. They hide under the bushes. Once they've found a likely bush to hide under, they mush themselves back and forth, back and forth until they've made a bit of an indentation in the dirt and piled it up a tiny bit on either side of them.

I've never seen mine try to climb, so I'm going by MY tortoises when I say they don't climb. If you stand your leopard up on his back legs and imagine how far he can reach with his front legs, that's how tall (or a bit taller) you should make the sides. Bearing in mind that if he's not full grown, you should make it taller to accomodate his full grown size.

On the downhill side, you can place a couple pieces of PVC under the fence for drainage.

Depending upon what kind of grass you plant, Bermuda has very deep and STRONG roots. It can practically work its way through cement. I would just take a shovel and 'fluff' up the existing dirt, incorporating a bit of leaf litter to lighten it up some.

Clover is pretty invasive. I have clover in most of my tortoise yards. But if it starts to crowd out the grass, you should try to thin it out.

You would want at least one hiding place per tortoise, with maybe an additional for each so they have a choice.

Once the grass takes over, you can just add greens on top of the grass. I don't have feeders in my leopard yards.

I don't think 5'x10' is going to be big enough for three full sized leopards. It may fit one, but not three. This yard is for two south African leopard tortoises:

View attachment 169943

View attachment 169944

It won't be that size forever. When they get big enough I plan on having my own house by then and they will have the entire back yard. I'll be fencing off the entire back yard and trying to get .5+ acres. That is only while they are small and still live with my parents. I was thinking the walls about 6-8" high. I would be planting basic back yard grass.

Kevin Kaz

View attachment 169943

View attachment 169944

How can I tell if my tortoise is Babcock or a regular one?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How can I tell if my tortoise is Babcock or a regular one?

If you paid a lot of money for it, it's probably a South African. But more than likely you have a Pardalis babcocki.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It won't be that size forever. When they get big enough I plan on having my own house by then and they will have the entire back yard. I'll be fencing off the entire back yard and trying to get .5+ acres. That is only while they are small and still live with my parents. I was thinking the walls about 6-8" high. I would be planting basic back yard grass.

I'd rather see you start with a foot tall.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a geographical thing. The South African leopard is sometimes referred to as Stigmochelys pardalis pardalis, while the "regular" leopards are called Stigmochelys pardalis babcocki.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Has any of your leopard tortoises ever burrow themselves in a new spot?

I'm a bit nervous about building a playpen just over dirt and freshly planted grass, I'm afraid they may burrow themselves and won't be able to find them. I'm thinking about building a base as a bottom so they have a limit of a certain depth if they do. I'm going to have several hiding spots in it, as well as a little spot of just dirt or coconut coir fiber. It's going to be pretty big too since I plan on getting 2 more tortoises. And have like 3 water dishes in there. I plan on building a screen top over it so I won't have to worry about predators.

How tall should I make the walls?
Should I build a base out of 2x4"s, so water can still drain?
How much dirt should I put on the bottom to grow the grass?
Is it safe to put clover in it?
How many hiding shelters for 3 tortoises?
How many water dishes?
Should I put extra food dishes for lettuce in besides the fresh grass that will be grown?

Anymore ideas?

Dimensions Approx.
10' long
5' wide

Picture included of the area!

Any other ideas to better the playpen?

1. Yes, baby leopard will dig in to the substrate, but they don't "burrow". They just go deep enough to cover their shells and many don't even do that. You can just put your pen right on the ground there.
2. I would go 12" tall with the walls for smaller tortoises and 18" for adults.
3. I've never had any drainage problems. The water can escape under the walls of the pen and into the ground.
4. Let the grass grow in the native dirt there.
5. Clover is good.
6. I'd put at least one hiding shelter but also add plants, logs, boulders, etc…, for lots of nooks and crannies and hiding places. They will definitely hide from you and you will spend time looking for them thinking they've escaped. That's just part of tortoise ownership. :)
7. Several water dishes would be good, but one is all that is needed.

I will post some links to threads that may give you some more ideas.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Lettuce" is not a good food. Check this out for more ideas on what to feed. It was typed for sulcatas, so just skip all the text about grass and scroll down to the food list. Many leopards are not big grass eater too. Some will and some won't. If yours likes the grass, then great. If not be prepared with lots of leaves, weeds, flowers, succulents and some occasional Mazuri too.

Also, I would not leave babies outside for more than an hour or two, and then soak them on the way back in. Outside all day is not good for babies, regardless of climate or weather. I don't leave them outside all day, weather permitting, until they are around 5-6".

Your leopard appears to be, and is most likely a mix of more than one type of leopard from their large range. It is not a pure South African.

Here are three enclosure ideas to browse:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

And lots of inspiration here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/#post-1124371

Kevin Kaz

"Lettuce" is not a good food. Check this out for more ideas on what to feed. It was typed for sulcatas, so just skip all the text about grass and scroll down to the food list. Many leopards are not big grass eater too. Some will and some won't. If yours likes the grass, then great. If not be prepared with lots of leaves, weeds, flowers, succulents and some occasional Mazuri too.

Also, I would not leave babies outside for more than an hour or two, and then soak them on the way back in. Outside all day is not good for babies, regardless of climate or weather. I don't leave them outside all day, weather permitting, until they are around 5-6".

Your leopard appears to be, and is most likely a mix of more than one type of leopard from their large range. It is not a pure South African.

Here are three enclosure ideas to browse:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/cheap-easy-simple-sunning-enclosure.14680/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/

And lots of inspiration here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosures.121732/#post-1124371
He like lettuce from a spring mix. He doesn't eat Romaine or iceberg.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tall, overgrown grasses for hiding is a "must" on my enclosure planning list.
They LOVE to nestle into tall grasses or low bushes.
See?
0410161935a.jpg
0410161935.jpg
Plus, I am convinced that hiding in tall grasses is a natural "humid hide" that helps maintain nice new growth.