Heatlamp, Burrow, & Nighttime

Sebastian Revels

Hello TortoiseForum, I need some advice on a burrow I would like to build for my tortoise.

I have read that they occupy animal burrows in the wild. As such, I am interested in providing an underground burrow for my male Leopard Tortoise to occupy to escape heat and sleep. I plan on using wood as a frame so dirt does not cave in on him. He is 1 foot long by 1 foot tall (15 years old). So, I was also planning on making it 3 feet deep, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet tall. When he goes to bed, I'll roll a big rock in front of it to protect him and then I'll roll it back away from the entrance in the early morning.

The only issue I am having right now is that I am not sure how to heat the burrow at night when it gets too cold. This is extremely important and is the hurdle I am unable to get over to finalize the plans and allow the burrow to be a permanent residence for my Leopard. The proposed site for the burrow is too far away from my house, so I do not believe that running an electrical line to the area would be feasible.

If this helps, I live inland southern California.

Any and all advice is much appreciated! I am very happy to answer any questions.

And, this is my first time here on the forum. I am glad to be on here. Until then, Ciao!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Search night boxes. Tom has done several threads on heated night boxes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Leopards are not really ground burrowers, not sure he would use one. Maybe @Tom can clarify. Maybe if you build it he will use it, otherwise they really wouldn't make one of their own. Without electric, there really isn't no way of heating it. How cold of temps do you get in the winter?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It can get to the 20s here during the winter. So a heatlamp is crucial

I would not use a heat lamp. They need it dark at night, and any sort of bulb will tend to "slow burn" the top of the carapace on any large tortoise while not providing enough heat for the rest of the body on a cold winter night.

Sebastian Revels

Thank you so much for the comments! I am going to upgrade his pen accordingly. It will be a daytime retreat for now, however. And I am going to get a space heating system much like mentioned above. Heat shield also. I'll have to expand the dog house right now, but I already have dirt on the sides for insulation. And I can just make the ceilings more accessible (open up from the top) when i reconstruct it.

I will send you all pictures shortly!