Outdoor living on cold days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I'm new to having a tortoise live outside all day every day!
It has been warm and sunny here lately, but today it is cloudy and only about 70 degrees.
Nelson's enclosure is 75 degrees. Should I bring him in and set him up under a heat lamp? Or let him be a real tortoise and stay outside? :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most people here in SoCal just leave Russians outside year round. Just make sure he can dig in, or has a dry shelter.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I may or may not have brought his heat lamp outside *cough cough* ;)
But it's good to know most people leave them out year round. I know he can handle it, he's just not used to it ever being that cold during the day! He's sitting in the middle of his enclosure looking helpless. ;)
Nelson and I both need to toughen up together, I guess!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Californians moaning about the cold! You don't know what cold is! Try living in the UK! ;)

I have two methods to keep Joe outside as much as possible when it's chilly:

1. The cold frame placed in a sunny spot provides an excellent sleeping and basking spot when the days are cooler but bright
Joe2.jpg

2. The Dog kennel, lined with insulation with a basking lamp on a timer inside. There's a plastic curtain across the door which helps to keep out drafts and a slab under the lamp which heats up to provide a hot spot. this is sleeping quarters when I think it won't be particularly warm the next day.
Tort003c.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hey, I'm from the Chicago area! I KNOW what cold is! I've only been in SoCal for three weeks. :)

Great solutions! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I need to make Nelson a hide that is more enclosed. His have very large openings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ChiKat said:
I may or may not have brought his heat lamp outside *cough cough* ;)
But it's good to know most people leave them out year round. I know he can handle it, he's just not used to it ever being that cold during the day! He's sitting in the middle of his enclosure looking helpless. ;)

He's not feeling helpless. He's feeling relieved that his multi year heat wave is finally letting up! :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
You are so right!

He seems to appreciate the option though, of having it a little warmer! :)

IMAG0759.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
JoesMum said:
Californians moaning about the cold! You don't know what cold is! Try living in the UK! ;)

I have two methods to keep Joe outside as much as possible when it's chilly:

1. The cold frame placed in a sunny spot provides an excellent sleeping and basking spot when the days are cooler but bright
Joe2.jpg

2. The Dog kennel, lined with insulation with a basking lamp on a timer inside. There's a plastic curtain across the door which helps to keep out drafts and a slab under the lamp which heats up to provide a hot spot. this is sleeping quarters when I think it won't be particularly warm the next day.
Tort003c.jpg

Ditto! Or upstate New York! California "cold" is called summer in the Catskills! LOL

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Nelson probably just need lots of reassurance and maybe a snack or two to get his energy back. ;)

We have had relentless heat here in Colorado this summer, and I've noticed that Taco gets very active around 95 degrees (wants to break out through the garden fence and go for walks), but when it was "only" about 85 the other day, she was content to hang out under the nasturtium vine all day. :tort:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How is Miss Taco doing these days? Pictures of that cute little mug of hers??
Glad you're coming around more Steph!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing Nelson turn into a Dude with a 'tude. Bring it on! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.