Sad cloudy days

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
So my outdoor enclosure has one corner that gets sun before the rest. Its so sad to see Fezzik sitting in that corner waiting for the sun to come out and warm him up, knowing its a cloudy day and he's going to be cold for a while yet (cold being around 70 degrees at the moment)...

Fortunately it will be sunny later today, but still...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah because Burbank is SOOOOOOO different! LOL
Oh it is! Seriously. Burbank is wonderful, but that marine layer almost always stops right there at the mountains at the 14/5 split above Sylmar. It will be sunny and 80 at my place, what I like to call "good tortoise weather", and I'll head south for work and drive right into that gloom at Sylmar and down into the Valley.

Your first post is what made me think of it. It was sunny at my place this morning and I drove down into the gray when I went to work. I'm currently in Malibu, and its completely socked in here still. I know the sun is up there somewhere, but I can't see it.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Oh it is! Seriously. Burbank is wonderful, but that marine layer almost always stops right there at the mountains at the 14/5 split above Sylmar. It will be sunny and 80 at my place, what I like to call "good tortoise weather", and I'll head south for work and drive right into that gloom at Sylmar and down into the Valley.

Your first post is what made me think of it. It was sunny at my place this morning and I drove down into the gray when I went to work. I'm currently in Malibu, and its completely socked in here still. I know the sun is up there somewhere, but I can't see it.

Oh yeah, Malibu and Santa Monica can be awful. I used to work across the street from the SM Pier and we would get this thick bright yellow fog. So weird. But yeah it was cloudy until about 11:30 or noon today.

Funny story, when I moved to LA from DC my first apartment was in SM/Brentwood area. I moved in February and it was prob in the 50s when I got here. That night I turned the thermostat, nothing happened. No radiator, no heat duct, nothing. And I thought "wow, I'm so stupid, I never thought that heat was an "optional" thing for apartments and I was so mad at myself for not asking about it. I bundled up in everything I had brought with me and hunkered down on the air mattress with 3 cats b/c I had no furniture yet. I woke up a few hours later ROASTING. it was like 100 degrees in the apartment and I had NO IDEA where the heat was coming from. The next day I went to the building manager and didn't want to look like an idiot so was like -- "wow, that heat, it sure is... something, huh?" and he was like "boy yeah, radiant heat in the ceiling sure works ell doesn't it!" (actually I would think its inefficient with heat rising) but for Brentwood it worked well with the June gloom, for sure. Then I moved to WeHo and then to Burbank so it keeps getting hotter and sunnier for me...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh yeah, Malibu and Santa Monica can be awful. I used to work across the street from the SM Pier and we would get this thick bright yellow fog. So weird. But yeah it was cloudy until about 11:30 or noon today.

Funny story, when I moved to LA from DC my first apartment was in SM/Brentwood area. I moved in February and it was prob in the 50s when I got here. That night I turned the thermostat, nothing happened. No radiator, no heat duct, nothing. And I thought "wow, I'm so stupid, I never thought that heat was an "optional" thing for apartments and I was so mad at myself for not asking about it. I bundled up in everything I had brought with me and hunkered down on the air mattress with 3 cats b/c I had no furniture yet. I woke up a few hours later ROASTING. it was like 100 degrees in the apartment and I had NO IDEA where the heat was coming from. The next day I went to the building manager and didn't want to look like an idiot so was like -- "wow, that heat, it sure is... something, huh?" and he was like "boy yeah, radiant heat in the ceiling sure works ell doesn't it!" (actually I would think its inefficient with heat rising) but for Brentwood it worked well with the June gloom, for sure. Then I moved to WeHo and then to Burbank so it keeps getting hotter and sunnier for me...
I grew up about 3 miles inland from Manhattan Beach. We had no AC and we had this weird wall heater thing that we'd use a few times per year on the "coldest" winter nights. I was so spoiled! I live only about 40 miles north of there now and we are in the low 30s every night in winter, and right around 100 every day in summer. Its brutal! 40-50 degree temperature swings from day to night are common all year long. 108 on a hot summer day, down to 62 that night. Or 30 on a cold winter night and up to 76 later that day in the sunshine.

Sounds like you are heading up my way if this moving trend of yours continues... :)

Be careful! You'll end up neighbors with Karen out in the desert if you don't stop!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I grew up about 3 miles inland from Manhattan Beach. We had no AC and we had this weird wall heater thing that we'd use a few times per year on the "coldest" winter nights. I was so spoiled! I live only about 40 miles north of there now and we are in the low 30s every night in winter, and right around 100 every day in summer. Its brutal! 40-50 degree temperature swings from day to night are common all year long. 108 on a hot summer day, down to 62 that night. Or 30 on a cold winter night and up to 76 later that day in the sunshine.

Sounds like you are heading up my way if this moving trend of yours continues... :)

Be careful! You'll end up neighbors with Karen out in the desert if you don't stop!

Yup definitely had those wall heaters and JUST in the living room! I had to add one for be bedroom where I actually needed it.

Given real estate in CA I'm fairly certain I'll be here until I kick the bucket...