Outdoor humidity

BobbyJ

hello I have a small redfoot and his indoor enclosute is okay , it has proper temp and humidity .. My question is if I were to build a small area for him to hangout outside in my backyard for the summer would it be okay . Te humidity is about 50% I live on Long Island and I know they need it higher than that .. I try to put him outside for about an hour a day just to get natural uvb .. Is this humidity okay to be at for a few hours

RedFire

Location (City and/or State)
Beijing,China
I stay in north and has low humidity about 30%, the breed enclosure humidity is about 50%-60%, sometimes achieve 60%-70%. Now, my redfoot is well, and finding out a better way.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
You could make him a humid hide box.
Your choice of materials depends on the size of your tort.
For my little Sheldon I use a large food storage container that
I cut an opening large enough for him to fit thru
Add the substrate and spray the inside walls and lid with water.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
You can make an outdoors enclosure but you still need a good substrate. I live in California and the humidity is not that great, so I had to get creative. Make sure you have plenty of shade and safe plants in the enclosure. A good substrate to use outdoors is cypress mulch, organic compost and sphagnum moss. Mix it all up and add about 3 to 4" in the enclosure. You must mist frequently or have a misting system. This should be fine because most of the humidity tortoises need is at tortoise level.

Last edited:

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
wet the area down before going out on a nice hot sunny day it'll raise the humidity im in southern oregon humidity right now is 28% outside and 92F with a high of 104 heat+water=humidity