My tortoise likes to stay on the cold side of tank

BobbyJ

my redfoot seems to like to hangout in the 75 degree range more than anything .. He has a warm side where the basking spot is about 90 and the rest is in the 80 degree range .. But I find him sleeping a lot on the cool side .. Is this okay ?

Lexiii

Location (City and/or State)
CT
my redfoot seems to like to hangout in the 75 degree range more than anything .. He has a warm side where the basking spot is about 90 and the rest is in the 80 degree range .. But I find him sleeping a lot on the cool side .. Is this okay ?

Mine does the same thing, so I hope it's normal. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Excerpted from Tortoise Library :

• 80-85F preferred range. Can tolerate 65-70F lows short term and does not do well over about 90F.
  • high humidity (80-100%) when young red-footeds can tolerate less humidity as they get older
  • Gentle lighting with low-levels of UVB lighting are
    recommended. (Tortoises with regular access to unfiltered sunlight do
    not need UVB lighting.)
I take this to mean that a RF tortoise does not need a hot side/cool side, and 80-85F all over the enclosure is just fine. Pay attention to the lighting statement. GENTLE lighting. You can achieve this by having plenty of plants (thus shade) in the enclosure. In order to do this you need a bigger container.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am assuming that RF tortoises that stay on the cooler side all the time are trying to get away from the harsh lighting, and not because of the heat or the cool.

Lexiii

CT
True, both sides are the same temp, basically. I keep a mercury vapor light at one end and a che on the other. How can I make the light less harsh while still supplying uva/uvb?

ETA: Shade plants, I see that now. I have several, will have to grow some more.

BobbyJ

I am assuming that RF tortoises that stay on the cooler side all the time are trying to get away from the harsh lighting, and not because of the heat or the cool.
I have a uvb tube across the top and a basking bulb on one side but he doesn't seem to mind sitting under it once in a whil.. I also have lots of live plants

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
My enclosure stays at an ambient temp of 80-82F. However, ground temps can measure a lot lower. Shell readings at random times can be in the low 70s. From my limited experience, if they're still active/eating/drinking and get their body temps up into the 80s daily then staying in the cool end shouldn't be an issue.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I just read some of your threads (I've been away for a while). I want to edit my post in that this works in my situation. My tortoises are older and probably much larger than yours. I always recommend the safest advice to new owners in that enclosure temps should never go below 80F at all times. I don't know when your tortoise had the RI, but I'd for sure keep the overall temps above, at least, 82F (at all times) until you see stable weight gain and activity over the course of a few months. Also, it's just beginning to warm up here. I dunno where your location is, but regular outside time for your tort in a dedicated and protected area helps tremendously. Just my opinion. Good luck!

BobbyJ

I just read some of your threads (I've been away for a while). I want to edit my post in that this works in my situation. My tortoises are older and probably much larger than yours. I always recommend the safest advice to new owners in that enclosure temps should never go below 80F at all times. I don't know when your tortoise had the RI, but I'd for sure keep the overall temps above, at least, 82F (at all times) until you see stable weight gain and activity over the course of a few months. Also, it's just beginning to warm up here. I dunno where your location is, but regular outside time for your tort in a dedicated and protected area helps tremendously. Just my opinion. Good luck!
I'm on Long Island so I can't put him outside yet .. And the RI was about a month ago .. He definetly looks way healthier he's like a totally different animal now.. I'll have to put another lamp in I have one this way the temps are warm all over

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I didn't know what your setup was like. Heating is a lot more efficient (cheaper, more effective) and easier to handle if your environment was closed off.

I know he probably looks better now, but I'd still go overkill on the heat for at least the first year.