Outdoor Enclosures - too hot, too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
We are building an outdoor enclosure for a 4 year old Greek tortoise, and wanted to know the temperature range that's recommended / acceptable. We are located in Austin, TX so we range from about 30 F to 105 F. Right now he's inside but we know he would be much happier to be outside as soon as the weather allows. Thanks!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
First it's important to know what subspecies of "Greek" tortoise that you're talking about. Northern Mediterranean Ibera have different environmental needs than do Middle Eastern Gracea than do North African Gracea.

If it's the tortoise in your profile photo it appears to be an Ibera. But I could be wrong, it's difficult to tell from a small photo.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
An Ibera and any other tortoise I can think of, will need it a bit warmer at night. Ibera can easily take night time temperatures down in the low 50's, even occasionally high 40's as long as the daytime temperatures reach a decent activity level of 70 and above. 105 degrees is extremely hot for Ibera, but as long as they have adequate places to rest in the shade to escape the extreme heat and sun they will be fine.
I live in upstate New York and my Ibera when outdoors are exposed to temperatures as cold as the high 40's at night and rarely above 84 degrees during the daytime. Their basking sites tend to be warmer. Mine have done fine in these temperatures for many years. As long as they are kept in a well thought out enclosure they are very hardy and somewhat adaptable animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.