Is it too hot outside for Toto?

code_drone

Location (City and/or State)
McAllen, TX
Hi everyone,

We have a red-footed tortoise we bought back in October 2022, so I'm guessing he is somewhere between 1-2 years old.

We live in south Texas and it is very hot right now and there is a heat wave coming over the next few days.

Peaks will hit 106 F, its ridiculous: https://weather.com/weather/tenday/...c612d74bd8741e5063625fe4420995687106a8459e949

What is too hot for a red-footed tortoise? He has a lot of shade in his enclosure because of a watermelon plant and I am installing shade cloth today over his entire enclosure, but I'm worried its not enough and its just too hot.

I feel he is happier when outside and he is always so active when outside compared to indoors so I want to leave him outside as much as possible, but obviously not if its dangerous for him.

Toto's Outdoor Home:
Thoughts?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice enclosure
Shade cloth is excellent. I'd reccomend placing almost total coverage on one side only.
For the hottest days I'd also reccomend using a sprinkler attached to a hose to "rain" on the tort for at least half an hour. Not only will it cool the area down, it'll greatly raise the humidity and as another bonus, you'll find that REDFOOT LOVE THE RAIN.
My group either hide during the hottest part of the day or they swim or soak in one of their pools.
The short answer is probably 94°. Give or take.
They prefer the lower 80s. And seem to get uncomfortable at anything above 92ish. But my enclosures are in an area that sometimes reach the upper 90s.
Shade is important

Last edited:

code_drone

McAllen, TX
Ambient temperature is currently 97 F according to the weather app.

I used my infrared thermometer to take a bunch of measurements under all the shade in his enclosure and it says mostly between 82 and 85... but of course that's the surface temperature which is wet.

I also used one of his indoor enclosures thermometers and it saying right around 91 under all his shade.

I guess this is probably his upper limit and I will have to bring him in over next few days during the afternoons.

20230611_210331295_iOS.jpg