Outdoor Enclosures for Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGShell

5 Year Member
Hi Everybody!

Has anybody built an outdoor enclosure for a golden greek tortoise?

I live in Austin, TX, so my tort would most likely only live outside during the spring and summer.

How do you even begin to build outdoor enclosures? I've been reading online and there are so many different options. In people's opinions who have built outdoor enclosures, what's the best way to keep my tortoise safe from predators? I'm mostly worried about racoons, rats, opossums, critters like that.

Do most folks bring in their tortoise when it rains, or providing them from shelter from rain in their enclosure do the trick?

Thanks!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hi, and welcome!
I think there is a subforum about enclosures, you might find some good input and designs there - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forum-7.html

Some folks create a 'raised bed'-type outdoor pen. I got a big 6x4 square stock tank, and will drill drainage holes in the bottom, sink it into the ground somewhat, fill it with dirt, plant it, create a hide, and build a cover for it. I want to build a really big raised-bed type pen soon, too.

I bring my tortoises in at night, since I'm afraid they would get eaten by raccoons or possums that might manage to pry open the cover.

As long as there is an area of the enclosure that is sheltered from the rain, and drainage is good, it's ok to leave them outside as long as the temps are warm enough. Heat + rain is fine, but cold + rain will result in a sick tortoise.

TGShell said:
Hi Everybody!

Has anybody built an outdoor enclosure for a golden greek tortoise?

I live in Austin, TX, so my tort would most likely only live outside during the spring and summer.

How do you even begin to build outdoor enclosures? I've been reading online and there are so many different options. In people's opinions who have built outdoor enclosures, what's the best way to keep my tortoise safe from predators? I'm mostly worried about racoons, rats, opossums, critters like that.

Do most folks bring in their tortoise when it rains, or providing them from shelter from rain in their enclosure do the trick?

Thanks!

TGShell

5 Year Member
Hi there! Thank you for that, your information is very helpful and a great start!

Status
Not open for further replies.