Keeping Greeks Outdoors In South Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvaldes55

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I currently have a two year old golden greek tortoise, I was planning on creating an outdoor enclosure when she gets a little older and bigger, but I have a few questions about keeping them outside where I live in South Florida.

The temps are great here for tortoises but my main concern is the humidity. If you have ever been down here its pretty much the first thing you notice, its usually anywhere from 70% to 100% most of the year. Im worried that this will be an issue being that greeks are prone to respiratory problems. my main questions are:

Do any other South Floridians Keep their Greeks outdoors with success?
Is humidity an issue?
Can they be kept out year-round?
How big of an enclosure for a group of three?

Would appreciate any help and advice! :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My gut feeling is that greeks will cope with Florida year round (lucky wotsits, can I join them ;))

I am ready to be corrected as I live in the UK... but if they cope with our damp, I'm sure they'll cope with yours!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

HOUSING: Golden Greeks tend to bury themselves in the topsoil or under the base of clumps of grass, regardless of being maintained indoors or out this ability to hide should be duplicated. Unfortunately if they are being maintained in an area with a damp substrate this tendency to dig a "pad" results in them sitting in a very high humidity location (microclimate) for long periods of time. Upon exposure to a humid environment, even if warm, many of these tortoises develop Upper Respiratory Tract Disease (URTD) and rapidly decline. To avoid this Golden Greeks should be housed in a dry, warm environment with low ambient humidity. 30-50% This must be taken into consideration when arranging housing for them. While most species of tortoises respond well and do much better with outdoor maintenance, this variant does better in indoor accommodations unless they are being maintained in a low humidity climatic zone or special consideration is given to providing a substrate that does not hold moisture. .

zacheyp

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
http://www.chelonia.org/articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

HOUSING: Golden Greeks tend to bury themselves in the topsoil or under the base of clumps of grass, regardless of being maintained indoors or out this ability to hide should be duplicated. Unfortunately if they are being maintained in an area with a damp substrate this tendency to dig a "pad" results in them sitting in a very high humidity location (microclimate) for long periods of time. Upon exposure to a humid environment, even if warm, many of these tortoises develop Upper Respiratory Tract Disease (URTD) and rapidly decline. To avoid this Golden Greeks should be housed in a dry, warm environment with low ambient humidity. 30-50% This must be taken into consideration when arranging housing for them. While most species of tortoises respond well and do much better with outdoor maintenance, this variant does better in indoor accommodations unless they are being maintained in a low humidity climatic zone or special consideration is given to providing a substrate that does not hold moisture. .
does this apply to ibera greeks?

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Greeks will do just fine - The humidity is not an issue, and never has been an issue.....

There are many keepers with large groups that are kept outside year round in Florida......The only problem comes with the weather we get - Just give them an elevated area so water runoff can drain properly and the Tortoises can dry out and you won't have any issues.......

Status
Not open for further replies.