Outdoor enclosure

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, FL
So Mr. Frog is big enough for an outdoor enclosure now so the building plans begin and here come all the questions! We live in Florida and have worked out all the details for keeping him safe at night from the raccoons and I know he still needs a hide but does it still need to be heated? It is so hot here I was more worried about him being too hot rather than too cold. The entire enclosure will have a waterproof tarp across the top so other than when the sun shines in at an angle certain times of the day he will have enough shade.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would still be prepared for those rare cold nights. I know that Aldabraman also in florida sometimes rounds his up and turns on the heat lights. Even those in CA and AZ have to provide heat sometimes. So, yes, I would prepare for those days now. It will be easier then getting caught off guard and figuring out something at the last minute. Tom's night box may be an option for you.

Camdens tortoise

5 Year Member
Tampa, FL
I would still be prepared for those rare cold nights. I know that Aldabraman also in florida sometimes rounds his up and turns on the heat lights. Even those in CA and AZ have to provide heat sometimes. So, yes, I would prepare for those days now. It will be easier then getting caught off guard and figuring out something at the last minute. Tom's night box may be an option for you.
Okay but I only need heat for cold nights correct? Cold nights are pretty much completely done here now but I agree I will definitely be prepared I just wanted to make sure that during the Spring and the summer he doesn't need any sort of additional heat or humidity that our weather would be enough?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Winter consisted of 48 hours this year. The cold should all be behind us.
I have heated houses for my tortoises that are on timers, but i still find it necessary to bring them all indoors once or twice a year.
I have a video on YOUTUBE: Redfoot habitat Florida style.
It shows a successful outdoor enclosure being used in Florida. (mine) You might be able to draw some ideas from it and just build on a smaller scale.