Outdoor Enclosure tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Ok so ive been working on my outdoor enclosure for my older tortoises and Im about 20% done. I have the heated house done and Ive increased the size of the enclosure form 2 feet by 30 feet to 5 feet by 30 feet. Its less narrow for them now. Well half is just dirt right now and the other side is cement. I was planning on placing sod on one side but after reading some threads here on the forum i dont think I should. I really want to put grass in there but if I plant seeds they'll just eat it up right away. Also does anyone have any unique ideas on furnishing or making their outdoor enclosures interesting but safe? I checked google but didnt see anything that i wanted. I know I asked a lot of questions but I hope anyone could help! I want them to have the best outdoor enclosure so they can be happy. btw. this enclosure is divided into 3 sections to separate species.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Piles of river rock or gravel (over a plastic pot turned on it's side for a hide). Small logs. Shrubs like Rosemary, or clumping grasses like Carex or Fescue.
Kinda depends on which tort we are talking about, but hostas, mosses for the Redfoots?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would plant grass seed on one side, and give it a month before they can access that half of the enclosure. That will give the grass time to grow and root down, and your torts still have a 5x15 area in the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.