Outdoor raised enclosure on patio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
So, I live in an upstairs apartment, and I have a patio that is 9 by fifteen, and is carpeted with outdoor carpeting, the green stuff. I am planning on using this as an outdoor area for my russian tortoise. I'm thinking the best way to go would be an outdoor tortoise table of about 6 by 3 feet. Or i could just let him crawl around on the carpet and put some hides and a water dish, but then he wouldn't be able to burrow. Anyone here ever make an outdoor raised enclosure? any ideas?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
You can do both. If the patio is secure, let him walk around, but make a ground level raised bed with soil with a ramp, or perhaps two, one on each side. He can go into the soil, burrow, eat any weeds that are sprouting, but make the rounds of the rest of the area. Place a water dish in it.
You could have a separate small house or hide for him to retreat to at night (heated, if needed). Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEDAR-WOOD-...ultDomain_0&hash=item33675e6e55#ht_1334wt_954
You could arrange some pots around the perimeter (or in the middle!) of the balcony with tort friendly plants that drape over like sedum, creeping charlie, etc.
They love to walk and walk and climb, so I see no reason to limit him, again if the area is secure (from him climbing or falling out, etc.). I remember one forum member posting pics of their male RT climbing up the plastic wire secured to the patio railing and ending up on the patio table. Twice!
And don't forget a seat or two so you can hang out with him...

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
i like the patio idea better. torts poop and pee just like other animals, so just having him on carpet could be messy..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also keep in mind that the height of the balcony walls may be too high for sun to effectively offer at least access to morning/afternoon/early evening sun for basking and so on....as well as shelter/shade in the event you have an all day sunny balcony...and also make sure your balcony has reliable drainage in the event if a downpour...I agree, a well thought out set up on a balcony can be sweeeeet :D

Blastoise

5 Year Member
I like your idea Lynn! I'm gonna do that! I'm gonna build two planters, one on either end, about one foot tall, six feet long, with ramps down to the carpeted porch. I already have a big water dish, and some plants out there, and I've been putting Eugene out there on nice days. I'll post some pictures later and show you what i've done. The carpet is really easy to clean, all the mess he's made out there comes right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.