Outdoor enclosure questions?

axeman25

Location (City and/or State)
Central Michigan
These have all probabably been answered before I'm sure but I couldn't find the answers right off so I'll ask.

It's starting to warm up here a bit (central Michigan) and I know I have a while before I can move my three Russians outside but that doesn't mean I can't start planning/building their outdoor enclosure now. A couple of questions come to mind.

1) Are they going to freak out and act like they did when I got them a couple months ago? Be active for a couple days then hide and not eat for several days.

2) Would it help them settle if I move some of their cypress mulch substrate out there with them? Just curious if familiar smells will reduce stress.

3) Where I was hoping to build the enclosure is close to my house and gets mostly morning sun. Is that enough? I read that even an hour or so can be more beneficial than a uvb light. I can move it to another location with more sun but it'd be further from the house than I want.

3) they will be "sharing" the backyard with my other kids (you know, the loud two legged ones). Will they get used to noise quickly, or is this going to be another long stresser? I have a trampoline, pool, and playset and it seems my house is the ones the neighborhood kids prefer.

Just so you know, there will be lids and locks on it, just like my indoor one. No one will have access unless I let them. To many kids, coons, and other hazards in my area to be that trusting.

4) I know about making the cool hide underground for them to cool down in, but has anyone ever made them shallow underground tunnels to explore? My reason for asking is because of how skinny my enclosure will be. About 3'. I figured I am going to throw a couple small upper levels for them to explore, why not a couple basements to check out too? Just a thought. I would make them out of wood so there is no fear of collapse.

As always I appreciate the help. I was thinking of taking a pic of the area. It won't be really wide but I can make it very long. About 3' by 20'. I will make it with several hides and obstacles. And I will have a way to separate them if something happens or the male starts to get feisty. He's almost 5" so I assume he's gonna start getting in the mood anytime. He's starting to enjoy his soaks more, if ya know what I mean?

axeman25

Central Michigan
Also. Should I have a thermostat and something to measure humidity in there? Just because it could be in the shade for several hours a day.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Can you ever really know too much about the environment your tort is in? If you have the ability, by all means, monitor the temp/humidity everywhere you can relative to the tort.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I don't have specific answers for you about the location. I would monitor the temps there before setting up a permanent enclosure. The underground idea is interesting. I would worry about not being able to get to them. I think the size sounds ok.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The other question, I don't know if taking substrate out will help or not, but yes I would expect an adjustment period again.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Your tortoises will probably be much more active outside. Having sun throughout the day would be good for them and would let them be outside more often and longer. I have a temperature gun that I used to check the temperatures in my outdoor enclosure and it is surprising how warm it actually is in the enclosure even if the air temperature is only in the 60s the enclosure can be mid 70s. I put hardware cloth below and above to keep the tortoise in and everything else out. I think the lid and a lock is a good idea with all the neighbor kids running around. Your tortoises will get used to all the noise eventually. Is there a place in the yard that somewhat away from where the kids will be playing but still has good sunshine? Even if it is full sun all day if the enclosure is well planted they will have plenty of shade. They would probably like the tunnels. I just like the idea of being able to get to my tortoise at any time. They will dig some of their own tunnels, you might think they escaped but they are just buried :) To water bowls might be handy just to make sure they all have access to water. Keep an ion them to watch out for any bullying behavior. And you're right, if the mail gets a little too feisty you might have to separate him. But having two females will definitely help. Make the enclosure as big as you possibly can. It doesn't have to be a rectangle or square even, mine is an L shape and it works great. You can put the substrate from their indoor enclosure in the pen, I don't know if it will really make a difference though. Your tortoises will love the outdoors and closure, they're meant to be outdoors and they definitely are more active.

axeman25

Central Michigan
Ok. Thanks everyone. The problem I have about the sun issue is how my neighborhood is set up. Lots of trees and shade. My driveway and garage is on the sunny side of the house. I would be nervous about building something there and then I would have to greatly reduce it in size. Where I am planning on building it is right up to the back of my house. That way it'll be as far away from commotion as possible and can be very long. I could carry it on around the corner or the house. It would still be within my fenced back yard, but it may offer some afternoon and evening sun. I want to make sure that it's not real noticeable from the front yard. There are some shady teenagers that pass through her sometimes. Lol. Not to mention that the area I'm building it in now it going to take away one of my wife's gardening areas. I have yet to tell her about that so if you don't hear from me for a while it just means I'm on the mend.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ok. Thanks everyone. The problem I have about the sun issue is how my neighborhood is set up. Lots of trees and shade. My driveway and garage is on the sunny side of the house. I would be nervous about building something there and then I would have to greatly reduce it in size. Where I am planning on building it is right up to the back of my house. That way it'll be as far away from commotion as possible and can be very long. I could carry it on around the corner or the house. It would still be within my fenced back yard, but it may offer some afternoon and evening sun. I want to make sure that it's not real noticeable from the front yard. There are some shady teenagers that pass through her sometimes. Lol. Not to mention that the area I'm building it in now it going to take away one of my wife's gardening areas. I have yet to tell her about that so if you don't hear from me for a while it just means I'm on the mend.
Going around the corner of the house might be a good idea. Also you can put up shrubs or fences to block the site of the tortoise. And don't publicize that you have one, although with all the kids in the backyard that's probably a mute point. You can have a locked box that you put them in at night or you can bring them in every night for added security. You will probably have to do that for a while anyway until the weather is consistently warm. I bring my Russian in at night if it gets below 55 or 60 at night. Or if it rains and gets below 70. I hope your wife doesn't hurt you too bad when you tell her about your plans :)

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
For the record, my russian tort's indoor enclosure is surrounded by kid activity for much of the day, and this has no impact whatsoever. Sometime I've wondered if he is both blind and deaf . Anyhow, I don't think kid noise is a big deal, if the tortoise is protected from kid- related injury. Nature isn't always quiet, even without human sounds. And normal surrounding noise and activity for the family, in my opinion, should be normal for the tortoise as well.

I love the tunnel idea! I dig underground lairs into my indoor enclosure all the time. Only concern for outdoor ones will be drainage and I suppose temp...you know if they sleep in one and it's an ok temp at the beginning of the night, but by 4 in the morning you've got a tortsicle. And because tunnels will fill with water when it rains, if he's out 24/7, you'll have to have a way of making sure your tort doesnt fall asleep in there when it decides to pour and you aren't home.

axeman25

Central Michigan
I was thinking of just making some shallow tunnels out of wood. Something I can pull the tops off to find them if needed. I just figured it gives them more space to explore. I have some ideas for some second levels to add to it as well.