Outdoor enclosure question

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
Hey y'all, I am finally making the move from an apartment to a house with an awesome backyard, and I am so pumped to give my babies an outdoor habitat! They are redfoot torts, and the ambient humidity here is around 80% so they are going to be so happy!!!!

My question is - I'm not quite sure how to ask this so bear with me - ok, I know they will graze on the grass. When I take them outside at my apartment they eat the grass (don't fret, I made sure everything is pesticide free). But since they are redfoots, grasses should not be the main part of their diet, unlike a leopard or a sulcata, correct? So should I till the ground so it's bare and then plant redfoot-friendly greens only? Or should I do nothing and it is ok that they graze, and I will still feed them their normal diet in addition? Or can I uproot part of the enclosure, so it is half grass half dirt with redfoot friendly plants growing in the dirt portion?

I hope this makes sense to y'all. Really what I'm concerned about is that they will eat too much grass, instead of their dark leafy greens, and suffer ill effects from it.

Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just toss broad leaf plant seeds right on top of the grassy area. In my opinion, there's no reason to dig out the grass.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree with Yvonne. Just plant within the grass.
Congrats on the home too.