Outdoor grazing/enclosure size area

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Okay, so we are finally updating our tiny 20'x15' enclosure to a real backyard for Hercules. He is a 26lb sulcatta. We are buying a house that will give him a 4000sqft outdoor enclosure (about 80% of the backyard; the rest will be my garden :). The fencing is nice and we are building a shed for him to sleep.

I'm curious about the grass. I know that some people have partitioned the grazing area into sections to allow parts to recover. Do you think that at 4000sqft, we need to partition this into sections so he doesn't over graze and kill all the grass? Or will that be enough space so that the grass will not become a dirt lot?

Also, do you frequently have to reseed? Any ideas/tips to keep the grass growing plentifully would be helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my experience a whole lot depends upon the type of grass you plant. I seeded my leopard tortoise yard with a mixture compiled for wildlife grazing plots. It grew great, lush and green. The trouble is, once the tortoises ate it down to the ground, it doesn't come back.

I have Bermuda grass in the other yards (sulcata, aldabran, desert, texas), and I actually have to mow those yards occasionally (except for the sulcata yard). Bermuda is a VERY hardy grass and can withstand overgrazing. I used to have Dudley's yard partitioned off into three sections so I could practice pasture management, however he kept after the separating fences until he broke them down and now he has the whole yard. It works out just fine and doesn't seem to require any managing.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. So maybe a Bermuda grass mix would do. Do you have a sprinkler system in the yard?

I have seen some wildlife seed mixtures. Any specifically that you would recommend?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with what Yvonne said. Also where you live and what your weather is, especially the heat and moisture levels. Here in Nebraska I seldom water, but my sulcata enclosures still need to be mowed. They have a few favorite areas, which gets grazed down well and I do too seeds on those patches in early spring.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
This weekend we are finally moving into the new house (boy it was a long process). Anyway, so starting tomorrow Hercules will get the 4000sqft area all to himself. He's going to thrive compared to his current place. Lots of grass, places to hide and explore. We have secured the perimeter already, but we still will have a long way to go in building his sleeping area. For now, we will use his current box for him to sleep until we get his Penthouse built. The place came with a shed that had its own concrete foundation. We tore down the shed and will build his sleeping home on top of that. It is really convenient and will keep his sleeping quarters off the ground and out of potential mud in the rainy season (as much as Los Angeles has of a rainy season).

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
This weekend we are finally moving into the new house (boy it was a long process). Anyway, so starting tomorrow Hercules will get the 4000sqft area all to himself. He's going to thrive compared to his current place. Lots of grass, places to hide and explore. We have secured the perimeter already, but we still will have a long way to go in building his sleeping area. For now, we will use his current box for him to sleep until we get his Penthouse built. The place came with a shed that had its own concrete foundation. We tore down the shed and will build his sleeping home on top of that. It is really convenient and will keep his sleeping quarters off the ground and out of potential mud in the rainy season (as much as Los Angeles has of a rainy season).

I cannot wait to see photos!! Depending on how the grass/yard looks, why not do sections? An area of the wildflower mix, another area of grasses and so forth? Sounds like the new place is gonna be awesome!!

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Right now the place doesn't look great as they cut down a lot of trees and branches from trees. We brought him here yesterday, but he was already sleeping for the night. This morning he had a nice time roaming around, eating grasses and weeds. I need to get some seed mixtures like you suggest. Any in particular that is a favorite?

I worry that Hercules will hurt himself climbing around some branches (like poke his eye or something). Is this a valid concern? I was watching him most of the day and he seemed fine. He is not very careful about where he goes though and seems to just plow through everything.

This weekend we will start on his new home, first ordering one of those sheds. We will probably be adding a lot to it over the next few months. I also want to block off some areas with some kind of retaining wall for all my plants and garden that I intend to have. That also won't be for some months though.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
IMG_1520.JPG

So Hercules has been loving his huge new home. He has 3000sqft of yard (currently growing clover, fescue and bermuda grass, dandelion and other weeds), and he has this 3' x 4' enclosure. The enclosure is fully insulated (ground, walls and ceiling). We have it heated for the cold nights. It took him 3 days to figure out how to go through the flaps. We pushed him through each day initially, but now he is quite confident and content in his new place. We added a removable wall (that is also insulated) so we can more easily clean out the mess he makes inside his house. The removable part is what the handles on the left side are for. It does get muddy, so we elevated it off the ground with some cinder blocks and then made a long ramp. It took the better part of 3 days to build this home, but hopefully it last many, many years. It is very solid and it took two people to carry it in four different pieces to its final location. We don't plan on moving it any time soon. It works well being positioned on the side of the house to protect from winds. He has free access to the back yard at all times.

Despite the larger yard, he still patrols the fence regularly looking for weak spots!

Attachments

• DSC_5623_5592.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC_5615_5584.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_5647_5617.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like Hercules is one lucky tortoise.

I've never had a problem with them bulldozing their way through underbrush and cut branches. Anything is physically possible, but its unlikely that he will injure himself on the branches.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Thanks. Okay, I wasn't sure about the branches. Sometimes I think we should change his name to bulldozer! We did get the yard cleaned up and all the dead/cut branches removed. The new grass is growing in, but it will probably take a few weeks to be enough so we don't have to supplement him as much.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
That sign suggestion is hilarious!!
Hercules is doing very well. The spring led to a huge increase in our grass growth, and subsequently Hercules' growth. He now weighs 43 lbs (he gained 8 lbs in the last 4 months alone). He doesn't drink much water with so much fresh grass. He doesn't even get worked up about his treats (lettuce, carrots, etc.). We also have our own garden which we keep in the front of the house, where we grow all of his treats. He will eat them, but much less than when he was on our patio.

We have most of the yard covered in an african grass mix, and then a smaller section covered in clover. He loves all of it, but we still have to mow once per week because he doesn't come anywhere near maintaining it himself. It is 4000sqft. Given the rate that he eats, I think we could house at least another 4 tortoises, if not more. He loves his house and on cold days, will stay inside all day. We keep it heated to around 70 - 90 deg, depending on the part of the house. I notice that on hotter days, he will go inside, but to the cool section of the house. By morning though he is always on the warmer side of the house. Thanks again for all the tips. I'm now quite happy that my guy has a good place.