Outdoor Enclosure Progress

AliG

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Wow your enclosure is coming on a treat :) I have added a outdoor house to mine as of this weekend ... just got to figure out whether to add a heat source to it or not ... UK summers are not the greatest and i do want him to live outside until mid September without having to bring him in every night and put him back in the morning, decisions decisions .... but always a work in progress he will be with me for a good few years yet :)

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Wow your enclosure is coming on a treat :) I have added a outdoor house to mine as of this weekend ... just got to figure out whether to add a heat source to it or not ... UK summers are not the greatest and i do want him to live outside until mid September without having to bring him in every night and put him back in the morning, decisions decisions .... but always a work in progress he will be with me for a good few years yet :)

I am start starting on the outdoor house. A 37 year old woman with no DIY experience, how hard can it be? I will update this thread.

Maggie T

Los Angeles
Well the sun was out today so I made some progress with my outdoor enclosure. Here are some updated pics, it’s not finished, I am adding a heated insulated kennel and a cold frame which I am waiting on.
View attachment 273581View attachment 273582View attachment 273583

All the plants I have propagated and grown myself for about the last 2 years (except the petunia which I bought today but no pesticides used at my local garden shop)

Along the back I have sprinkles seeds from shelled warrior which are things like clover, vetch, dandelion and many more, I’ve also spread them all over the mound which I’m not sure if you can see from the pics.

Looks fantastic!!! Great job!

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Well what a difference a few months makes. My outdoor enclosure is a wilderness. I have so much growing, mallow, geranium, petunia, sedum, lots of clover, vetch, milk thistle, plantain, and lots of sow thistles. Some undesirables come through now and then, mainly Oxalis that I remove regularly, hopefully in time it will die out.

IMG_0778.jpgIMG_0777.jpg
IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0776.jpg

Shame I don’t have a tortoise to enjoy it at the moment. Next year I’m planning a new adoption.

AliG

Uk
Well what a difference a few months makes. My outdoor enclosure is a wilderness. I have so much growing, mallow, geranium, petunia, sedum, lots of clover, vetch, milk thistle, plantain, and lots of sow thistles. Some undesirables come through now and then, mainly Oxalis that I remove regularly, hopefully in time it will die out.

View attachment 278045View attachment 278046
View attachment 278047View attachment 278047

Shame I don’t have a tortoise to enjoy it at the moment. Next year I’m planning a new adoption.

Your enclosure looks so lovely, I am sure when the time is right you will give a fantastic home to a new little tort x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

View attachment 278045View attachment 278046
View attachment 278047View attachment 278047

Well, I DO have tortoises in my "jungle", so I step on the tall weeds at the base of the plant to make it lay down on the ground so they can eat the leaves.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Spring outdoor enclosure. Very overgrown and I am going to tend to it over the next couple of days and get it back under control.
will post an update

Attachments

• 864A2507-5D39-4973-BDAD-82F436441F88.jpeg
    864A2507-5D39-4973-BDAD-82F436441F88.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 56FBAF93-7E79-4649-8620-DF6A4DF89080.jpeg
    56FBAF93-7E79-4649-8620-DF6A4DF89080.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
  • CD06CCF1-7A44-4DD4-B64E-1E4A91FE61EC.jpeg
    CD06CCF1-7A44-4DD4-B64E-1E4A91FE61EC.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 8