Outdoor enclosure

Harley99

Location (City and/or State)
Moline Illinois
Hi all going to be starting my outdoor enclosure this week i have a russian tort. I am going to use blocks for the perimeter was wondering how deep I should go into the ground thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience that they don't do much digging at the fence line. However, when I built my Russian pen, I laid down masonry caps (rectangular stepping stones) on the ground inside and up against the fence. None of my Russian fence goes down into the ground:

Russian Yard 4-4-12 b.jpg

This was the only picture I could find. If you give me a couple minutes, I'll go take a better one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the above picture, the female Russian is propped up on the fence to take better advantage of the sun's rays.

Here's my masonry caps lining the yard inside the fence:

masonry cap liner.jpg

If a tortoise is going to try to dig under a fence, they go right up next to the fence and start digging. It doesn't occur to them that they have to back up and dig under the masonry caps, but rather, they actually stand on the caps and try digging under the actual fence. But, like I said, none of my Russians have actually tried to dig out.

Russian&CherryHead

I find this helpful as well while I gather ideas for outdoor enclosures for the Russians. Do you have to worry about any birds of prey getting them?

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I have two red shoulder hawks who frequent my redfoots water dishes. The hawks have never messed with them. We do have lots of squirrels, their natural prey. Russians are smaller than rfs so I would be cautious. Shade cloth or mesh cover.