Outdoor enclosure I made

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
This is the outdoor enclosure I made for Petrie that my dog was able to get into. I am currently adding heavy duty sides so that this tragedy does not happen again. Is there anything else that I should do? I don't want to lose my new tortoise to a tragedy, I can't go through it again.

Currently it is 4'x8'x2'. It has soil with mulch on top and I have planted a few plants and some seeds.

Thanks for the help
Photo Jun 10, 12 11 22 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 12 11 25 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 12 11 35 PM.jpgPhoto Jun 10, 12 22 56 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It does look very good. Sorry you had that bad experience.
Are you adding a stronger gauge wire to the wood frame?

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
I am so sorry for your loss. Might I ask what type of dog? That would help decide if the wire is thick enough. It does look good though and I don't think the average smaller dog could get in.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
Dreamwallaby said:
I am so sorry for your loss. Might I ask what type of dog? That would help decide if the wire is thick enough. It does look good though and I don't think the average smaller dog could get in.

My dog is a Shar Pei Mix so a medium size. The pictures show the heavy gauge wire on the top but the sides have a bird netting and she was able to push through it.

lynnedit said:

Yes I added the same gauge wire that is on the top and now it goes all the way around and is on the outside so it can't be pushed in. I finished getting all the wire on today and went around and pushed on all of it to be sure it is secure.

Here are pictures of how it looks now with the new wire.

2012-06-18 14.31.04.jpg2012-06-18 14.31.12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pinkpirate said:
Dreamwallaby said:

My dog is a Shar Pei Mix so a medium size. The pictures show the heavy gauge wire on the top but the sides have a bird netting and she was able to push through it.

lynnedit said:

Yes I added the same gauge wire that is on the top and now it goes all the way around and is on the outside so it can't be pushed in. I finished getting all the wire on today and went around and pushed on all of it to be sure it is secure.

Here are pictures of how it looks now with the new wire.

Looks good!

This will also make your pet's home safe from raccoons, possums and coyotes.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So the main problem was you had the wire on the inside, rather then the outside? :( Glad you have improved it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I'd like to suggest one improvement...your hardware cloth is loose enough that a rat, small possum, or squirrel could squeeze in and kill your tortoise!

Using fence staples (the smallest size is perfect)

fence-staple-7.jpg

set about 1" apart and the h/w cloth pulled tight, all around the perimeter, will make your tort's home vermin-proof.

An hour or two of swinging a hammer, and years of peace of mind!

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
chester tortoiseson said:
I don't know how you dog is, but my friend's will do anything to get that tennis ball in the cage

Same here! They get fixated and mine ate through the wire!! Luckily my husband is a black belt and flew across The yard quietly to save the tortoise before she bit down ... Not something I ever want to see again!! Now we watch her at all times. She not allowed to be alone in the yard. She's a lab mix- terrier.

I put some very large rocks around the area where my dog dug and planted tall grass there too so she can see Hemi. The rocks (really tall) have helped a lot!! I love your enclosure. It's great!!

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
Terry Allan Hall said:
I'd like to suggest one improvement...your hardware cloth is loose enough that a rat, small possum, or squirrel could squeeze in and kill your tortoise!

set about 1" apart and the h/w cloth pulled tight, all around the perimeter, will make your tort's home vermin-proof.

The wire that is around the enclosure and on top is 16 gauge wire. Right now it is stapled on and then screws with nuts were added to secure it flat. I can't bend the wire easily and it isn't moving when I push on it. Do you think critters can get in with that wire?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
pinkpirate said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

The wire that is around the enclosure and on top is 16 gauge wire. Right now it is stapled on and then screws with nuts were added to secure it flat. I can't bend the wire easily and it isn't moving when I push on it. Do you think critters can get in with that wire?

You'd be surprised at how small an opening a rat can go through! :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
It does look much better. Perhaps you could add the U hooks/staples between the screws along the bottom of the wire.
As far as your dog, it should work very well. I imagine when the dog is in the yard, no one else will get in there either. :rolleyes:

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
lynnedit said:
It does look much better. Perhaps you could add the U hooks/staples between the screws along the bottom of the wire.
As far as your dog, it should work very well. I imagine when the dog is in the yard, no one else will get in there either. :rolleyes:

True in addition to my dog my tenants have 3 so not much comes in our yard lol

Status
Not open for further replies.