Outdoor enclosure help

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDRunner

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Duluth, MN
I just made an outdoor enclosure for my russian. It is basically a wooden square 4' x 4'. The walls are tall enough so he can't climb out. I have it set up so I can move it wherever there are good dandilions and sunlight. At the end of the day I bring him back into the indoor enclosure and set the outdoor one next to my house.

my concern is that my tortoise will be able to dig under and out of it. How can I prevent this?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
With you wanting to keep the mobility of the enclosure it limits you a tad. The most common option would be to attach a piece of wire such as chicken wire onto the bottom of the pen's walls. The entire bottom of the pen would be the wire mesh. That would allow the plants to pass up and into the pen of course he is going to be walking on wire, so that is a disadvantage. Could also try the plastic wiring or poultry netting which might be easier on the feet.

You could around the inside edges, where with a stationary pen it often has a ground level lip (for lack of a better term) made of bricks, make one of lighter, movable items. Simply means an edging that goes into the pen for something like 6" from the pen's walls. To keep it mobile, you could do it with either the wire or pieces of wood. He might still dig out or at least try to, but it would give added time for you to spot the attempt before he succeeded.

Just curious, if he were to get out of his pen, is the yard set up so there is another line of protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.