Outdoor enclosure for Russian

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello all! I recently built this 6’ x 6’ enclosure in my backyard, and have a few questions/concerns. My first and main issue is temperature. I live in southern Colorado Springs, where this time of year we usually see day time temps near the mid 80s and 90s but night time temps in the low 60s and sometimes mid 50s. To combat the higher daytime temps, I dug about a foot down and built a little under ground hide area covered with Cyprus mulch to help with humidity and provide an escape for the heat. Does this seem like it would work for having a cooler area to rest? And as far as the night time lows, would the daytime temps keep the enclosure warm at night, or should I bring in the tort for the night as it cools? I want to make sure I have this right before I bring home a little Russian. I do of course plan on building a shallow, shaded water pit as well with some plants and weeds growing along side the tort! Any tips are much appreciated! Thank you!E3F4FDD1-7058-4F08-BC3B-A11A65417CDC.jpeg6AFBEA6B-1310-48FA-B579-1C576F708A04.jpeg

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
First, night dips in temperature are natural for russians and perfectly fine. As long as it doesn't get below fifty, don't bring it in.

Also, I think the hide is great as well as the shade roof thing. Once you add the plants and weeds and the water pit to the enclosure, it's ready to go!

When you get your russian, post pics!!! And also post pics of the finished enclosure! :)

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
First, night dips in temperature are natural for russians and perfectly fine. As long as it doesn't get below fifty, don't bring it in.

Also, I think the hide is great as well as the shade roof thing. Once you add the plants and weeds and water pit to the enclosure and then it's pretty much ready to go!

When you get your russian, post pics!!!
Awesome! I wasn’t sure what Russians low temp tolerance was, but that makes sense! Thank you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Dont forget the water- a terra cotta saucer is best. My russian loves to bask in the sun in his. Also I would put a latch on the top so your russian cant push it up. There are experts at escape

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only your thermometer can answer the question about the underground shelter. Put a digital one that records highs and lows down there so you can see what the temp does during the heat of the day and also at night.

Be careful adding plants. Any decorative plant bought at a store will have systemic pesticides in it. The toxins can't be washed off and they take a year to dissipate. Best to use cutting from long established plants, or grow your own. @TylerStewart of tortoisesupply.com has some excellent seed mixes. One of my favorites is the "Testudo Mix". He also sells and excellent "Herbal Hay" mix which is dried flowers and other good stuff that you mix in with the day's green to give your tortoise more variety.

What is the loose dirt in there?

Russians can certainly handle low night temps when followed by warm sunny days, but if this tortoise is not acclimated to this sort of routine, I'd be careful. If this tortoise has been housed indoors and is used to night temps in the 70s, and you leave it outside the first night in the 50s, it could be a problem. I'd bring the tortoise in at night, but start leaving it out longer and longer after dark and taking it back outside earlier and earlier each morning to get it used to the cooler temps more gradually.

You might also have to show it the underground shelter a few times by placing it down there a few times during the heat of the day or at night.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Only your thermometer can answer the question about the underground shelter. Put a digital one that records highs and lows down there so you can see what the temp does during the heat of the day and also at night.

Be careful adding plants. Any decorative plant bought at a store will have systemic pesticides in it. The toxins can't be washed off and they take a year to dissipate. Best to use cutting from long established plants, or grow your own. @TylerStewart of tortoisesupply.com has some excellent seed mixes. One of my favorites is the "Testudo Mix". He also sells and excellent "Herbal Hay" mix which is dried flowers and other good stuff that you mix in with the day's green to give your tortoise more variety.

What is the loose dirt in there?

Russians can certainly handle low night temps when followed by warm sunny days, but if this tortoise is not acclimated to this sort of routine, I'd be careful. If this tortoise has been housed indoors and is used to night temps in the 70s, and you leave it outside the first night in the 50s, it could be a problem. I'd bring the tortoise in at night, but start leaving it out longer and longer after dark and taking it back outside earlier and earlier each morning to get it used to the cooler temps more gradually.

You might also have to show it the underground shelter a few times by placing it down there a few times during the heat of the day or at night.
Thank you for the thermometer recommendation! I will have to order one from amazon! And that does make a lot of sense, having to acclimate the tort to outdoor living will be something I do! The last Russian tort I had was an indoor only tort, so this will be a little new! And I plan on only planting my own weeds/grasses/lettuce strains in the enclosure. I don’t intend to add any store bought plants. Also, the soil is a 0 additive “virgin” soil from a local nursery that I plan on adding more mulch too in the future!

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Here’s a little update. I added some tile for an eating area and also a shallow dish for water all in shaded areas!

Attachments

• 22699A95-037E-4A08-9AB2-ADD424615B87.jpeg
    22699A95-037E-4A08-9AB2-ADD424615B87.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the thermometer recommendation! I will have to order one from amazon! And that does make a lot of sense, having to acclimate the tort to outdoor living will be something I do! The last Russian tort I had was an indoor only tort, so this will be a little new! And I plan on only planting my own weeds/grasses/lettuce strains in the enclosure. I don’t intend to add any store bought plants. Also, the soil is a 0 additive “virgin” soil from a local nursery that I plan on adding more mulch too in the future!
You can buy the thermometers at any hardware store like Home Depot if that is convenient. Or Walmart too.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
Well the temps are looking great for the enclosure! I’ve monitored them for the past couple days and everything seems ideal! Meet our new little female Russian! We still haven’t named her yet but she loves her enclosure so far! (She’s was a little shy at first)546670E1-4E30-45E3-B739-51079BCE166C.jpeg