Indoor enclosure advice for Russian

mkruszewski

Hi all!
I have been checking out this forum for about a month now ever since I got my Russian tortoise (named Karl) and have decided to finally join to ask for some help!
I currently have Karl housed in a 30 gallon glass aquarium, I know its too small and want to upgrade to something bigger. I have seen many people who have built their own wooden enclosures which look amazing but I am not handy at all and am not sure I would be able to build something like this. I have also seen a few people who have used plastic storage containers and am thinking of going down this route. Can anyone give me advice on what type would be suitable? Primarily concerned about proper type, sizing, color and covering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
a russian tortoise named Karl very appropriate. when planning an indoor enclosure for Russians you wan as big as possible. in the wild their territory is several square miles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there any possibility at all that you can house Karl outdoors? They do much better outdoors. If not, then buy the very largest plastic bin you can find. This is a Christmas Tree Storage Bin made by Iris:

baby desert tortoises 9-17-15 a.jpg

Standing on one end it is as tall as a four drawer filing cabinet (4'???). russian tortoises need a lot of space. If you can't find the above container, you can buy two smaller ones, cut out opposing ends and overlap them together. Or you can find a used 4 shelf book case at a yard sale and take out the shelves. There are many ways for non-carpenter keepers to work it out.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Is there any possibility at all that you can house Karl outdoors? They do much better outdoors. If not, then buy the very largest plastic bin you can find. This is a Christmas Tree Storage Bin made by Iris:

View attachment 149020

Standing on one end it is as tall as a four drawer filing cabinet (4'???). russian tortoises need a lot of space. If you can't find the above container, you can buy two smaller ones, cut out opposing ends and overlap them together. Or you can find a used 4 shelf book case at a yard sale and take out the shelves. There are many ways for non-carpenter keepers to work it out.
A nice idea, but isn't wood more suitable for torts, whatever the species of the tort?

Appreciate an answer, thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi all!
I have been checking out this forum for about a month now ever since I got my Russian tortoise (named Karl) and have decided to finally join to ask for some help!
I currently have Karl housed in a 30 gallon glass aquarium, I know its too small and want to upgrade to something bigger. I have seen many people who have built their own wooden enclosures which look amazing but I am not handy at all and am not sure I would be able to build something like this. I have also seen a few people who have used plastic storage containers and am thinking of going down this route. Can anyone give me advice on what type would be suitable? Primarily concerned about proper type, sizing, color and covering. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
A very warm to the forum. I too like the name of your tort and can't wait to see him.

mkruszewski

View attachment 149020

Awesome that looks great! Unfortunately I can't house him outdoors because I am currently in an apartment complex so do not have access to a yard. Thank you for the great ideas though! If I end up having to put two plastic binds together and overlapping them do you think I would need to glue them together? Or how would I go about making that more stable? Thanks again for the awesome advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Once you have the substrate in it will be stable enough. You just have to place it where it's going to stay, and don't try to move it. It's fine just setting them together, but if you want it a bit more stable, you can use duct tape. Ah, yes...whatever would we do without duct tape!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Karl.
The colour is unimportant, though transparency is not good as the tortoise will constantly try to escape and /or fight its reflection.
If you go down the wooden route it is a good idea to line it with a plastic shower curtain or similar to prevent rotting and keep in essential humidity.
A closed chamber is also better.
See http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/