OUTDOOR DRY BURROW

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is an idea for a "winterized" dry burrow. This was at my old house and used for my DT. What your looking on the left is a X-Large Dog Loo buried 4 feet down and at a slight angle with a dirt ramp inside also at an incline . Then the area was back filled and leveled off flat, next I used “light weight” Lava rock aka: Volcanic Glass Feather Lava to stack against sides and top of what remaining portion of the Dog-Loo that was exposed above ground. What was left…. a nice natural visual rock cave, along with providing a large “dry” burrow thru out the winter time.

JD~:shy:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With lots of plumeria off to the side:D. Great work you do. Have you ever temp the burrow at the coldest time?

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty cool, JD. I love how natural it looks. That's the trouble with my outdoor DT hides right now. They're functional, but don't blend into the landscaping. I'm gonna remember this one.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
With lots of plumeria off to the side:D. Great work you do. Have you ever temp the burrow at the coldest time?

Barb .... yes I have ..and actually there is power ran down to the burrow, with lighting and heating (if I needed it) . It actually stayed about 12-18 degrees warmer than ambient outside temp even when just left alone. I'm actually on the other side of the mountain where DT reside in nature so temps were just fine . My Aunt now takes care of this guy....as the reds ~n~ cherries keep me plenty busy year a round. :shy:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've seen this burrow before and always wanted inside pics. I have a hard time imagining the dirt ramp and power source down there. I just wanna know all the details!! ;) It's pretty though. I like that it is functional and cosmetically appealing very much.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
I've seen this burrow before and always wanted inside pics. I have a hard time imagining the dirt ramp and power source down there. I just wanna know all the details!! ;) It's pretty though. I like that it is functional and cosmetically appealing very much.

Darn Heather I wish , I had more pics of some of my old set ups . I have a few and still find new one’s now and then ….I’ll look around . And I this is a perfect time to share this experience. It was neat hides like these or even the “ under ground” bunkers of the past…heck regular dog houses too!, that started the frustration. I found myself tired of being on my hands and knees to check on my shelled buddies. Plus any maintenance that needed to be done was a pain in the neck , due to the limited space and a human body trying to work within it. Although perfect for this species it was not to convenient for me.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Great post. This is the kind of burrow that would work well in most climates for Med tortoises! But you are right, JD, a removable 'cap' would be great.
Oh, wait, Tom did that, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.